cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"SSH Server CBC Mode Ciphers & SSH Weak MAC Algorithms" affected my core switch

mohdtaamneh
Level 1
Level 1
Security scan showing that my core ( WS-C6509-V-E /12.2(33)SXI4a ) is affected by the below two vulnerabilities:

1. SSH Server CBC Mode Ciphers Enabled 
2. SSH Weak MAC Algorithms Enabled 

I searched about the issue and found that nothing need to be done on the switches side. And the action need to be taken on the client that we are using to connect to cisco devices.  Need to Disable CBC Mode Ciphers and use CTR Mode Ciphers on the application using to ssh to the cisco devices. And Disable any 96-bit HMAC Algorithms, Disable any MD5-based HMAC Algorithms. 

Any one affected by the same vulnerabilities? And how fix it? Is there any action need to be done on the cisco switch side -like IOS upgrade-?

BR,
Mohammad 
3 Replies 3

More recent IOS-versions have more features for securing SSH. Older versions are very limited and without upgrading the software you can't allow any modern crypto. More then that, you even can't secure the client-settings if the SSH-server doesn't support modern crypto.

The way to go is:

1. Upgrade the device-software
  2. Configure the devices for stronger SSH-security
  3. Restrict the client from using weak crypto.

I wrote a little document for securing SSH which is available here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12338141/guide-better-ssh-security

Quikr_167
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Facing the same issue with entire prodcution device. Please share the fix steps if anyone have it.

Thanks,

Pushpendra

Did you try to follow the steps suggested by Karsten? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: