cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS load balancing

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Our users authenticate via IAS Radius (active directory). I have one IAS Radius server configured on our concentrator, how would I load balnce Radius adn also create redundancy?

I was thinking if I add a 2nd Radius to the concentrator for authentication for it automatically load balance? And if one IAS server was down would it use the other one?

5 Replies 5

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

That should work for redundancy. Concentrator will use 2nd radius if the first does not answer. Load balancing will need other method.

Regards

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

How can I achieve load balance then?

Hi,

Depends on he version of Windows you are running. If you have Enterprise edition you can look at Windows Clustering. If you are running the standard edition then you can have a look at network load balancing. In your case i think you want to look at Network load balancing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323437/

regards

John

Could I just add a 2nd Radius server to the concentrator then? and if it can't contact one IAS Radius server then it will try the other one in the list?

Yes, that should be fine. Most people use that config. You would only look at clustering and load balancing if you have heaps of athentication connections.

regards

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: