cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resurgence of SIG ID 5053 (vti_bin list attempts)

8rpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone else seen a resurgence of the vti_bin list attempt (SigID 5053)? Ever since I've applied S40 to my IDS appliances, I'm getting flooded with these alerts. Did Cisco tune this signature and fail to included the change in the README?

Would appreciate response from anybody.

Thanks -

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mcerha
Level 3
Level 3

There was a change in the regex for S40. This was done to fix a false negative issue. Now, it is causing false positives. We are looking into this. 5053 is intended to be a generic signature with the intent that all accesses to the /_vti_bin directory are suspicious. This may not be true for all environments. Our current plan is to reduce the default severity for 5053 to a 3 and update the documentation in the NSDB to state that there may be false positives in some environments. We will also look to add more specific FrontPage exploits in the future to cover this area.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

DSmirnov
Level 1
Level 1

Observe the same,

number of 5053 alerts jumped from 0 to 50 per day.

I'm seeing about 400 a day here from none since I installed S40.

mcerha
Level 3
Level 3

There was a change in the regex for S40. This was done to fix a false negative issue. Now, it is causing false positives. We are looking into this. 5053 is intended to be a generic signature with the intent that all accesses to the /_vti_bin directory are suspicious. This may not be true for all environments. Our current plan is to reduce the default severity for 5053 to a 3 and update the documentation in the NSDB to state that there may be false positives in some environments. We will also look to add more specific FrontPage exploits in the future to cover this area.