cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Updates Over VPN (GRE and IPSEC)

girish.sane
Level 1
Level 1

I have a typical customer case where i need to pass routing updates over VPN and have 3des encryption as well.

The scenario:

1- Five locations across the country . All five locations have Pix firewalls with VPN 3Des licences.

2.I also have spare 2600 series routers on each site which can be used to set up GRE tunnels with each other over the internet. The 2600 routers are sitting behind the firewall.

3 IS it possible to encrypt all the GRE traffic as it passes thru the firewall and setup multiple Ipsec tunnels on thee PIX?

4. The second option is to do IPSEC and GRE on the 2600 routers itself but that would probably need hardware accelerator cards with memory upgrades.

Has anybody tried item 3 .......?

TIA

Girish

1 Reply 1

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, the PIX can encrypt/decrypt multiple tunnels. I found this for routers http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/707/ipsec_gre.html so I would think the PIX can handle the GRE too. Certainly you can tunnel the GRE through the PIX and terminate on the 2600’s. Anyone else out there tried this on a PIX?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: