We did a pilot implementation of WebVPN with Cisco Secure Desktop. I believe Clientless WebVPN + Secure Desktop combo is great (think Internet Kiosks). Anyway, we found out that CSD works very-veeeeery slow on some workstations (unusuable).
This doesn't seem to be hardware-dependent, because on the very same laptop, with two windows installations on different partitions it works fine with one, but not with the other. The one that works has Windows XP with no service pack, only video driver and java installed. The one that doesn't work has Windows XP SP2 and various other software installed.
To summarize, after testing on various machines I found out that it works on:
- my laptop, fresh Win XP installation, no service pack
- windows 2000 server (IPCC server)
- one of my colleague's laptop (Windows XP SP2 with various other software installed)
It doesn't work (CSD works so slow that it's unusuable, CPU rises up to 99% when doing anything - opening browser window etc.) on:
- my laptop (Windows XP SP2)
- my home computer (Win XP SP2)
- lab laptop (Windows 2000, fresh installation, no other software installed)
- two of my colleagues' laptops (Windows XP SP2 with various other software installed)
The webvpn gateway is a Cisco 2801, with 12.4(6)T software, and CSD / SVC are the latest version (184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11).