cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure VPN Connection terminated... Reason 412

john
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect from my home, which has a Linksys WRT54G router, using Cisco VPN client ver 4.6.01.0019 to a Cisco VPN concentrator. I've only just recently started recieving the error message below, and have not had any luch in connecting. The full message is:

Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client. Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Svoboda

5 Replies 5

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

You should find the required detail using this tool, VPN Client GUI Error Dictionary

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn-clnt-err-dict.html

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Did you manage to solve your problem as i seem to have started to get the same issue.Was working fine?

Cheers

Mark

Hi

I am wondering have you resolved your problem, I have the same situation, it works fine before

wingchingleung
Level 1
Level 1

I have a user at my company who has a similar problem and here is the fix we found from another website. Hope it helps

XP Firewall - connection dropping after a few minutes

Those using the Cisco VPN Client, on a system running Windows XP, with the Firewall feature enabled, may experience timeout problems (your session may disconnect within 5 minutes) if the following type of traffic is not allowed to pass through the firewall: UDP port 500

Any customers using a home router or "NAT" (Network Address Translation) box* should not experience any problems whatsoever.

* Devices that are used to share Internet connections within the home - connecting to Cablemodem services (e.g. Cogeco) or High-Speed DSL services (e.g. Sympatico) - from manufacturers such as SMC, NetGear, Linksys, D-Link and Microsoft.

Changes required to avoid timeout issues:

Start->Control Panel->Windows Firewall Under the "General" Options Tab, ensure that the "Don't allow exceptions" is NOT checked). That is, you DO want to allow exceptions ...

Next, select the Exceptions Tab ...

Select "Add Port"

Specify a Name for this exception, in the "Name:" field (call it anything you like. Example: UDP500)

Specify 500 as your Port number.

Select UDP.

Select OK.

Select OK again, to close the Windows Firewall window

Gareth Gudger
Level 1
Level 1

This may not be a problem with the client side at all, but with the firewall configuration itself. I had this same error code and it turned out to be a problem with a NAT statement on the ASA I was trying to VPN to.

Check here for more info.

http://supertekboy.com/2014/01/15/cisco-vpn-reason-412-the-remote-peer-is-no-longer-responding/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: