cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Southwestern Bell DSL and Cisco VPN Client

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, I have two clients who are using SBC Yahoo DSL. They are having problems connecting. I have been told to use a router between the DSL modem and PC to filter out the PPPoE traffic. This doesn't seem to cut it.

Does anyone have any similar situations? Is there are a way that these personnel can use the VPN client and go directly from PC to DSL Modem?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

fc
Level 1
Level 1

We presently have clients using a Cisco 806 router between the Efficient Networks Speedstream 5360 DSL modem issued by SBC and the networked computers in three locations where SBC Yahoo is the DSL Internet service provider. All three locations presently use SBC Yahoo DSL's FIXED IP address service, however [$65/month for 5 usable STATIC IP addresses (without PPPoE) rather than $50/month for a single DYNAMIC IP address (with PPPoE and all its inherent overhead)]. A fixed tunnel has been configured between the model 806 routers and each 806 is also configured for use with the Cisco VPN client software.

The 806 was the most economical choice but an 827-4V might be a better choice if telephony could be a consideration. The 827-4V has a built-in DSL modem along with four (4) RJ-11 jacks for analog telephones.

Frankly, I'm not sure how to set up the Cisco VPN client without having a either a router or a PIX with a STATIC IP address with which the VPN client will connect. In fact, I have absolutely no idea how to make one PC to directly connect to another PC using the Cisco VPN client software without the VPN tunnel going to a router.

Hope this helps.

F C Wood

fc@wood.org

ROBERT WATSON
Level 1
Level 1

Depends if PPOE authentication is handled on the PC or on the dsl device if auth is handled on the PC launch your VPN client after you've authenticated and obtained an address for your PC. When configuring the other end of the tunnel use wildcard masks as you probably wont get the same address 2x. Also if you upgrade to business service you can bypass ppoe all together and use a static address. Unity client is a snap to connect with that way. if you use a router between the DSL modem and PC be sure you get a broadband router with multiple ethernet ports and also support ppoe off the top of my head cisco's 806 and linksys broadband router both have these features.

If you notice application ussues use an mtu app tuner to decrease packet size leaving your pc due to IPSEC headers and ppoe headers

Bob Watson

SBC Datacom IE

(NOT SBIS which is the internet services division)

Thank you. We have tried both ways and the Linksys and the Unified Client had issues using the SBC DSL. Appreciate the help.