Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT command

Hi, 

I have been trying to understand and figure it out my self before posting here, but im unable to find a proper answer, 

I have been reading some good docs but got more confused with Static Policy NAT and all I want is to allow a server from the outside to communicate with our internal server as the image below:

NAT_CISCO.PNG

the external public server subnets (2 subnets) should communicate with the internal server over port 80

I have this config:

object-group network Public_Subnets
network-object 66.249.65.0 255.255.255.0
network-object 66.249.64.0 255.255.255.0

object network obj_priv_ip
host 192.168.10.10
object network obj_public_ip
host X.X.X.X <-------> this is my reserved public IP different from the outside interface but its available

access-list inside-in line 1 extended permit tcp host 192.168.10.10 object-group Public_Subnets eq 80
access-list outside-in line 1 extended permit tcp object-group Public_Subnets host 192.168.10.10 eq 80

nat (inside,outside) source static obj_priv_ip obj_public_ip destination object-group Public_Subnets object-group Public_Subnets no-proxy-arp route-lookup

but I get an error saying that the object does not match or does not exist when I enter the NAT statement

Im running ASA5585-SSP-20,  Version 9.6(4)5 

questions:

1- if its Static NAT: do I need the access list to be in place to allow it? on outside ? is itnt enough just the inside ACL?

I have seen some videos where they put simple NAT and the communication is already allowed from outside to inside, possibly Im wrong, but with static nat, do I need a firewall policy rule access list?

2- can you help me with the proper NAT command please? 

is there any other way to make it much easier than the way Im trying to do it?

note: in the diagram, I put a single public fake IP from Internet, but in reality, the requirement is 2 public subnets 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First the information you have in the description and the picture you posted not co-related at all, IP address outside and inside also.

As per my understanding you want to specific IP range to have only access to your internal IP address Web Server.

Then you need to do order below :

1. You need to map your one of your Public IP with Static NAT and ACL for your web server

2. Like example x.x.x.x - > 192.x.x.x.x ( x.x.x.x is your public IP address - not the the pool to allow)

3. Once that is working, then you need create an ACL on address range you would like to allow inside.

Example for Static NAT ( as per your picture)

access-list inbound permit tcp any host 192.168.10.10
access-group inbound in interface outside
object network obj-192.168.10.10
 host 192.168.10.10
 nat (inside,outside) static x.x.x.x   <-- replace with public IP of your network.

test and advise.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First the information you have in the description and the picture you posted not co-related at all, IP address outside and inside also.

As per my understanding you want to specific IP range to have only access to your internal IP address Web Server.

Then you need to do order below :

1. You need to map your one of your Public IP with Static NAT and ACL for your web server

2. Like example x.x.x.x - > 192.x.x.x.x ( x.x.x.x is your public IP address - not the the pool to allow)

3. Once that is working, then you need create an ACL on address range you would like to allow inside.

Example for Static NAT ( as per your picture)

access-list inbound permit tcp any host 192.168.10.10
access-group inbound in interface outside
object network obj-192.168.10.10
 host 192.168.10.10
 nat (inside,outside) static x.x.x.x   <-- replace with public IP of your network.

test and advise.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

thank you Balaji,

Surely, the pic was not with the right info,

I guess I got myself very complicated cause I was trying to policy the rules access via the nat statement, but I think I can do that in the access list

the object nat did the trick, it worked for sure, but I just got a wonder why policy nat even exists if you can control that from the access list too, like if you want to permit or block a port

thanks for your help, I left it as it is with your example for now xD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: