Views
Helpful
Replies

Strategies against DDos

m.rainer
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

At customer side we have DDoS. It's a massive TCP SYN Attack with bandwith up to 500 MBit/s. Maybe future can bring more than that bandwith, who knows?

My question regarding that Attack is: What is the best strategie against that attacks? We have thinking about Catalyst 6500 and content engine module or Firewall Service Module. But Firewall Service Module can do about 100,000 connections per second and maybe that's not enough I think.

Does anybody solved that problem before?

Thanks Markus

5 Replies 5

yusuff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For attacks like this you need tools/products such as Arbor Networks' (a Cisco development partner) anomaly detection system and/or Cisco's recent acquisition of Riverhead - a leading developer of security technology that protects against Distributed Denial of Service ("DDoS") attacks and other security threats in enterprise and service provider networks.

By comparing traffic flows to learned profiles of normal traffic patterns, behavior, and protocol compliance, these cutting-edge technology can quickly and accurately identify and mitigate a broad range of known as well as previously unseen security attacks.

my 2 cents.

Yusuf

Thanks a lot for your answer! I have some presentation materials about Riverhead. Because of the pricing strategie of riverhead (and some other reasons like know how...) I would prefer a cisco only solution (pix 535, ids, fwsm, content engine module with catalyst 6500...)

Do you know a cisco solution too?

The solution with arbor networks seems to be nice, but does that handle gigabit traffic too?

Thanks

Markus

Not applicable

Riverhead's technology is now Cisco Technology.

If you want a cisco only solution - well there you go. Seriously though, the Guard (called the 5650 now?) is your only real choice to mitigate 500mb/sec DDoS attacks.

-D

Darrel Lewis

consulting engineer

dlewis@cisco.com

davecs
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

really you should be worried about your internet pipe filling up - in which case there isn't a lot you can do about this - except contact your upstream providers and get them to block the offending hosts.

cheers

dave

mazlan.alatif
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How about using the RTBH.. It works for me..