cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The Login Local command

wanab
Beginner
Beginner

To ensure security for a remote router telnet function do I use the command “login local” to perform the authentication.

Am I right that the command “login local” is used only with the TACACS or RADIUS implementation? as well as use in the call back function only?

2 REPLIES 2

yusuff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

login local means that the user database for authentication is "local on the router" i.e. you crate username/passwords on the router (in config mode using username command)

If you want to authenticate telnet users and your users reside in TACACS/RADISU server then you should do;

aaa authentication login default group tacacs (or radius)

HTH

R/Yusuf

Thanks for info. I can’t find the CISCO site regarding the command “login local” and trying to find some explanation to this. It would be great help to point to me the URL link.

I am looking for some explanation on the function, how do I used it, is there any authentication done by the router and how it does it and am not using any of the external TACAS+,RADIUS authentication.

Anyway, I manage to create a login local for remote login but need to understand how it work.

Thanks for help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: