cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tuning issue with false positive

deyster94
Level 5
Level 5

One of my clients moved two of their email devices to a DMZ. The both produce alerts on the mass mailing worm alert. Before they were moved to the DMZ, you would see the alert and it would have a source and destination IP. Now it only has the destination IP address of where the device is sending email to. Since the MARS does not pick up the devices new IP address, I cannot false positive tune these alerts out. How would I go about fixing this issue?

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

When the IDS mistakenly thinks that normal traffic is malicious then false positives happen To reduce them you have to fine tune the system by letting it know what normal traffic means on your network.

Cisco has provided some great guidance on how to reduce false positives here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6241/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008072f396.html#wp1030968

I agree 100% with Anthony. You must tune the IDS and reduce the false positives at the source, not try to tune them on MARS.

A "5" from NYC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: