cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade CS-MARS-20-K9 and licensing

ngo duyen
Level 1
Level 1

My CS-MARS-20-K9 version: 4.2.1 (2251). I want to upgade to lastest version 6.0.7.

I see two way to upgrade:

method 1. re-image using a 6.0.1 dvd recovery. and upgrade use other patch: 6.02, 6.03, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7. I lose my database this way.

Method 2. upgarde to 4.3.6 (upgrade around 15 patch from 4.2.1 to 4.3.6) so I can upgrade to 6.0.1 and upgrade use other patch: 6.02, 6.03, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7. I wont lose database.

Is this correct method?

I know csmars v 4.x using license is 25 key string. And cs-mars use licence file recently. If I upgrade as above, I still can use  25 key string license?

thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes the two options you have mentioned are correct. The only difference being (as mentioned) in method 1 you will lose all the configuration while in method 2 you will be migrating the data from 4.3.6 to 6.0.1.

"I know csmars v 4.x using license is 25 key string. And cs-mars use  licence file recently. If I upgrade as above, I still can use  25 key  string license?"

The license format depends only on the  MARS appliance you have. For all MARS Gen1 appliances, the license is a 25 character string while for Gen2 appliances, it is a license file. So basically, the license format following the upgrade of your MARS will still be the 25 character string.

All the best!!

Thanks,

Prapanch

View solution in original post

Scott Fringer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To clarify the process, if you are going to re-image the CS-MARS, you may re-image directly to the latest release (currently 6.0.7).  You do not need to re-image to 6.0.1 and then upgrade to the most recent release.

Recovery DVD ISOs can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cs-mars-recovery

Scott

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes the two options you have mentioned are correct. The only difference being (as mentioned) in method 1 you will lose all the configuration while in method 2 you will be migrating the data from 4.3.6 to 6.0.1.

"I know csmars v 4.x using license is 25 key string. And cs-mars use  licence file recently. If I upgrade as above, I still can use  25 key  string license?"

The license format depends only on the  MARS appliance you have. For all MARS Gen1 appliances, the license is a 25 character string while for Gen2 appliances, it is a license file. So basically, the license format following the upgrade of your MARS will still be the 25 character string.

All the best!!

Thanks,

Prapanch

Scott Fringer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To clarify the process, if you are going to re-image the CS-MARS, you may re-image directly to the latest release (currently 6.0.7).  You do not need to re-image to 6.0.1 and then upgrade to the most recent release.

Recovery DVD ISOs can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cs-mars-recovery

Scott

thank you,

Iam trying to upgrade using method 2 and will  use 6.0.7 recovery dvd.

For the second method (upgrade to 4.3.6 first), you will need to re-image to 6.0.1 and not 6.0.7.  The import process of the 4.3.6 data requires that you be running release 6.0.1.  You will then need to upgrade to each successive release until you reach 6.0.7.

My comment on re-imaging directly to 6.0.7 was based on the first method where no data retention is maintained/

Scott

yeah, ty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: