cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CSMars from 4.36 to 6.0.6 Directly?

arikawahyono
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,,

Anyone experience to upgrade csmars from 4.3.6 (2841) to 6.0.6 (3368),

csmars appliance is csmars 100 (4.3.6) and new appliance csmars 210 (6.0.6).

should i upgrade the 4.3.6 to 6.0.1 before upgrade to 6.0.6?

can i upgrade the csmars directly to 6.0.6 from 6.0.1?

because i had read on cs-mars troubleshooting technote, that we cant upgrade directly from 6.0.1 to 6.0.6

so if we want upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.0.6 the step is 6.0.1 to 6.0.2 and then 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 ...... and from 6.0.5 to 6.0.6

Please help me..

Thanks,,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Because 4.3.6 has completely different data format as 6.0.1, therefore, there is a migration path from 4.3.6 to 6.0.1. It will export the data from 4.3.6 format to 6.0.1 format, so it can be imported to MARS with version 6.0.1.

It's stated in Table 3 (point# 4):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/migration/guide/dmigrate6x.html#wp1283173

Quote: "Both MARS appliances must be running the same version of 6.0.X"

Please kindly check out point# 2b for your exact scenario.

Here would be the steps:

1) Reimage CSMars 210 to 6.0.1

2) Run pnexp on CSMars 100

3) Run pnimp on CSMars 210 to import configuration and/or data.

4) Upgrade CSMars 210 from 6.0.1 --> 6.0.2 --> 6.0.3 --> 6.0.4 --> 6.0.5 --> .... to the latest you like to ugprade it to.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you can't upgrade MARS directly from 4.3.6 to 6.0.6. All MARS upgrades are incremental upgrade, ie: you will need to upgrade it version

by version.

If you need to upgrade from 4.3.6 ot 6.0.6, it will be as follows:

4.3.6 --> 6.0.1 --> 6.0.2 --> 6.0.3 --> 6.0.4 --> 6.0.5 --> 6.0.6

Here is the release notes for 6.0.1 that includes the major upgrade path from 4.3.6:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/release/notes/rnote601.html

and here is the release notes for 6.0.6:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/release/notes/rnote606.html

Please kindly be advised that the latest version of 6.0.x is currently 6.0.8, and the latest version of MARS is 6.1.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.1/release/rn612/Release_Notes_for_Cisco_Security_MARS_Appliance_6.1.html

Hope that confirms your question.

Halim, Thanks for your answer..

But, in process to migrate from 6.0.1 to 6.0.6, still i need follow the cycle to upgrade?

This is the Summary Steps to migrate cs-mars.
1. Export event data from the appliance
2. Export config from the appliance.
3. Reimage the appliance.
4. Import config into appliance.
5. Import event data into appliance.

Should i follow step by step that instruction every time when i upgrade the csmars from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2, from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3, ....., from 6.0.5 to 6.0.6?

can i just export and import the config only without data, and data only im backup from 6.0.1 (export to nfs server) and then directly im import to 6.0.6 after the upgrade from 6.0.5 to 6.0.6 without from data in 6.0.5?

thanks,,

No, unfortunately you can't migrate the data from different version of software. The data that you export is only valid for MARS running the same version of code.

Here is the migration document from version 4.3.6 to 6.0.1 for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/migration/guide/dmigrate6x.html

After you have migrated to version 6.0.1, then you would need to manually upgrade to 6.0.2 --> 6.0.3 --> 6.0.4 --> 6.0.5 --> 6.0.6

Thanks Halim,,,

No, unfortunately you can't migrate the data from different version of  software. The data that you export is only valid for MARS running the  same version of code.

-> From document that i had read from cisco,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/migration/guide/dmigrate6x.html

based on document that config and data can migrate from 4.3.6 to 6.0.1,

so in my assumption is if i had backup the config and data before, then the config and data can i use for migrate to 6.0.6 or higher..

so why you tell me that "can't migrate the data from different version of software?" can you explain to me please..

After you have migrated to version 6.0.1, then you would need to  manually upgrade to 6.0.2 --> 6.0.3 --> 6.0.4 --> 6.0.5 -->  6.0.6

-> this is just for upgrade the software or i need to migrate the config and data in every time i upgrade?

in my case, i have Appliance CSMars 100 (with 4.3.6) and the New CSMars 210 (with 6.0.6)

so my scenario is upgrade CSMars with 4.3.6 to 6.0.1 then upgrade step by step  to  manually upgrade to 6.0.2 --> 6.0.3 --> 6.0.4 --> 6.0.5 -,

then after CSMars 100 with 6.0.5 then i migrate config and data from CSMars 100 (with 6.0.5) to CSMars 210 (with 6.0.6),

what do you think,,??

btw,

I had read the document in link that you had sent to me,

Halim thanks for your support, your answer very help me to solved my problem...

Thanks so much...

Because 4.3.6 has completely different data format as 6.0.1, therefore, there is a migration path from 4.3.6 to 6.0.1. It will export the data from 4.3.6 format to 6.0.1 format, so it can be imported to MARS with version 6.0.1.

It's stated in Table 3 (point# 4):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/migration/guide/dmigrate6x.html#wp1283173

Quote: "Both MARS appliances must be running the same version of 6.0.X"

Please kindly check out point# 2b for your exact scenario.

Here would be the steps:

1) Reimage CSMars 210 to 6.0.1

2) Run pnexp on CSMars 100

3) Run pnimp on CSMars 210 to import configuration and/or data.

4) Upgrade CSMars 210 from 6.0.1 --> 6.0.2 --> 6.0.3 --> 6.0.4 --> 6.0.5 --> .... to the latest you like to ugprade it to.

Thanks Halim,,,

I want confirm in this step:

Upgrade from 6.0.1 to 6.0.2, did i need pnexp and pnimp in every time i upgrade to higher?

Thanks so much..

No, you do not need to export and import the data when you perform the incremental upgrade.

You can export the data for backup, just in case the upgrade fails, then at least you have the data backup for each of the version.

However, you do not need to export and import the data during the upgrade.

Thanks Halim your reply, your response like light speed....

but, i had try to find the image 6.0.1, but i cant find it..

in cisco im just find this..

Can you tell me where i can find the Image for 6.0.1..?

this is Recovery software for image?

Thanks...

s

Yes, it would be under CS-MARS Recovery Software, and you will give image for 6.0.1 (csmars-6.0.1.3066.iso)

Thanks Halim,

I Had installed the image, but i cant find to choose the CS-Mars Model, like in step 6 on Backup, Recover, Restore, and Standby Server Options (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/initial/configuration/bckRstrSby.html#wp1207481)

But the installation is successful,

and when i login in csmars after the csmars successful installed, csmars tell me that to input the new password but is always fail,

this is the line that show in schreen:

New Password:
Retype new password:

Program aborted due to: ORA-12541: tns:no listener

touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/pnsuperv': No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/oracle': No such file or directory

touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/pnsuperv': No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/oracle': No such file or directory

if I push enter, the command prompt will tell me to type new password and retype new password again,, but always fail and follow by line like above..

i had try to find on internet but i cant find this case with csmars 6.0.1..

can you help me please, what should i do..

Thanks before....

sorry, which box did you try to recover it on? I hope on your new MARS 210.

you might want to reinstall it again and see if it works the second time.

if it still gives you the error, you might need to open a TAC case to further investigate the issue.

Thanks Halim,

I try with my csmars 210,

Ok, I try reinstall it again, i hope this time is work,,,

Thanks so much....

Halim,,

I had installed, and the problem is still same,,

Now i must open TAC to solved this problem..

Halim, Thanks so much for your help..

GBU...