cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to CSA 5.1

ronnemeth
Level 1
Level 1

While there is no migration path to CSA 5.1, it is conceivable to build from scratch, re-write rules, and redeploy the new agent.

Has anyone tried this? I?m looking for success and horror stories. My biggest fear is the redeploy of the agent ? I assume just re-installing a new agent over top an old agent is not seemless.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you go to Maintenance>Export/Import, you can export policies, variables, etc.. then import them into the new version.

If you just export a policy, it exports all the supporting rules, variables, etc.. so you don't have to fish around.

Just be selective so you don't have to do a ton of cleanup afterward.

Tom S

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

I was able to deploy the new agent over the old one and migrate some of my policies, variables, etc.. to the new server with no troubles.

Tom S

how did you migrate your policies? what tool are you using to do mass deployment (or "un-deployment" if needed)?

Curious to know the same thing -

thanks

Ditto... though I was planning on trying to re-write and consolidate rules by hand. (a lot of work, but probably give me a cleaner migration)

If you go to Maintenance>Export/Import, you can export policies, variables, etc.. then import them into the new version.

If you just export a policy, it exports all the supporting rules, variables, etc.. so you don't have to fish around.

Just be selective so you don't have to do a ton of cleanup afterward.

Tom S

tom,

what tool are you using for mass deployment? since there is no direct upgrade path, how are you uninstalling the old version off of all of the clients. can this be done silently without user intervention?

-rodney

While there is no direct upgrade path for the server, the agents install over older agents just fine. Installing the new version uninstalls the old one.

If you build the agent kit to install silently and not restart, users do not see anything but it will disable the network connection briefly.

I suggest copying the agent kit and running it locally to prevent mishaps. Any good deployment tool should be able to do this.

We use Novell ZENworks to deploy.

Also note that if it doesn't restart automatically, the host is not protected until it does.

Tom S

will 4.5 licenses work with the new version (5.1) or do you have to purchase new licenses?

They will work and you can use them legally if you purchased maintenance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: