Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying NFS

spellluck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me out as I dont know linux at all to verify some information.

I have MARS configured to backup to a NFS server. I recently received a notification from MARS stating that one of the backups failed.

Because I do not have access to the NFS server (Managed Services is why), what other ways can I verify that the NFS backup is succeeding? Whenever I attempt to use the GUI to pull raw messages from the NFS server it essentially times out.

Anything on the cli available? Any and all help/ideas are appreciated.

MARS is running 4.2.6 ( 2458 ). Yea, old, but customer absolutely refuses to give us the time of day to upgrade it.

16 Replies 16

Perhaps you did this capture at a time at which the MARS was just sending 'some' of its data to the NFS? The real thing happens at 1 or 2 AM, but some types of data are backed up after a certain amount of time throughout the day. As per the guide:

"While you cannot schedule when the data backup occurs, the MARS Appliance

performs a configuration backup every morning at 2:00 a.m. and events are archived every hour. The

configuration backup can take several hours to complete"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/4.3/installation/guide/admin.html#wpxref73260

Also I hope there is no firewall/filtering device between the MARS and NFS server?

Regards

Farrukh

The Mars has both interfaces assigned. But the NFS server is on the local network of the NIC we're connecting to. In addition, just to make sure I actually did packet captures on both interfaces to see what was going on. Still not seeing the traffic I would be generating by using the web gui.

Farrukh,

Thing about the NFS/MARS TCPDump is that this was when retrieving data from the NFS server worked through the GUI. In other words, it was successful in pulling a raw events log from the server, and we can see it talking to the device to do just that, just not any responses.