Views
Helpful
Replies

Verizon DSL and VPN client on a Win2k PC

mhicks
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen this problem before?

A user I support has DSL with verizon on a Win2k PC. Without the VPN client loaded the user has no problems connecting to the DSL and the Internet. After she installs the VPN client the PC will reboot when attempting to connect to the DSL. The user clicks on the connect button from the verizon software and the PC reboots. The VPN client was installed but not started.

Any help is appreciated.

5 Replies 5

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Verizon uses WinPoet drivers for the PPPoE/DSL connection, and the earlier versions of this had definate comaptibility problems with our client. You don't say what versions of either the VPN client or the WinPoet drivers she's using, but make sure it's at least v3.0 (preferably later) of WinPoet and use the latest VPN client off our web site. You should be OK after that.

If possible try to use Ethernet port not USB. We have clients connecting using Verizon DSL with Cisco VPN 3.6 and it works fine.

I have not set up Verizon, but I have set up SBC DSL with VPN. We had the same issue. When you tried to initiate a tunnel, the VPN client would cause problems with the PPPoE adapter. Some things I did to work around this was to uninstall both DSL software and VPN client. Then, all I installed was the PPPoE adapter. For SBC DSL, it was the Efficient Networks. Our package came with an app called Connection Manager. This was the product that was hurting everything. I then reinstalled the VPN client and everything has been working fine since then.

I have a user running XP Home and the VPN 3.63B. I am able to connect and ping my servers, but I am not able to map network drives. Do you have any ideas why? I was given a PPOE patch to install, but it would only install on the network card in the PC not on the DSL connection. I would appreciate any help.

Al

t.holden
Level 1
Level 1

Not syaing you should have to go out and install anything,.....but, a $50 Lynksys router will do the trick. All my PPPoe clients have them. It makes the install easier and you don't have to mess with the MTU size. The directions are simple enough to follow out of the box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: