Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client AutoUpdate: How to do?

john.gudmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need help to get the Auto Update of VPN client version 4.6.xxxx to work. I have set up the web site and put the files on. But the cliet log keep saying:

21:45:00 05/22/2005 : Autoupdate was unable to get file size out of http header

21:45:00 05/22/2005 : Autoupdate failed to download file binary_config.ini

21:45:00 05/22/2005 : Autoupdate has send IPC to service

21:45:00 05/22/2005 : **Ending Autoupdate**

Help.

6 Replies 6

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

The error message is most likely related to the setting on your web server. So check those settings and make sure that users have the privilege access to download the file from the server.

Hi

I don't have any problem downloading from the web server. In fact when the auto update runs it begins to download the software. But that’s not what I won’t.

I think that I am missing 1 ore more ini files. I have downloaded the major update file. An unpack the file to the web server. Just as the describe in the doc. But I didn’t understand the think about the ini file.

From Cisco:

Getting the Updated Software from Cisco Systems

The installation package that the VPN Client software downloads from the update server can be either a completely new release (a full install) or an update. A new (major) release has a name in the form update-x.x.xx.xxxx-major-K9.zip and a minor release has a name in the form update-x.x.xx.xxxx.-minor-K9.zip.

Each full release of the VPN Client for Windows software contains the following six objects:

•vpnclient-win-is-x.x.int_x-k9.exe—the InstallShield installation file; for example, vpnclient-win-is-4.6.int_50-k9.exe or vpnclient-win-is-4.6.rel-k9.exe

•vpnclient-win-msi-x.x.int_x-k9.exe—the Microsoft installation file; for example, vpnclient-win-msi-4.6.int_50-k9.exe or vpnclient-win-msi-4.6.rel-k9.exe

•binary-[major].[minor].[modification level].zip—a zip file containing the VPN Client component files; for example, binary-4.6.1.zip. See the next section for a list of what is in this .zip file.

•sig.dat—a signature file containing a signature of binary.zip, the InstallShield installation file and the MSI installation file. This file is used for the verification process to ensure that these files have not been tampered with. When autoupdate finishes downloading the update, it deletes this file.

•binary_config.ini—a configuration file listing the version available on the update server. Autoupdate uses this file to determine whether it needs to go get the update. If the last major version number (for example, 4.6.1.0) in this file is greater than the current version, autoupdate downloads a full install. If not, then autoupdate looks at the version field. If the version number (for example, 4.6.1.1) is greater than the current version on the PC, autoupdate downloads an update. In any case, after autoupdate finishes downloading the update package, it deletes this file.

•new_update_config.ini—the configuration file that the autoupdate program uses to determine what to download. An administrator who is adding profiles and oem packages to an update must enter the names of the files that contain new or updated profiles and oem packages into this file. Once autoupdate has completed the update, this file becomes update_config.ini on the user's system.

Of these six objects, an administrator is responsible only for updating the new_update_config.ini file when distributing new or updated profiles. You must not modify the other files in the package. Cisco supplies these files and they are secured by the signature in the sig.dat file.

An update installation consists of a zip file called binary.zip and includes the following files:

We're experiencing the same "Autoupdate was unable to get file size out of http header" error - sis you ever find out what was causing this?

Our file is similarly easily downloadable from the location specificed in auto-update. Would be nice if the log file confirmed for sure the entire URL that was failing :-/

- Ken

http://www.ciptug.org/

Actually - it was only working locally on the server - looks like the file indeed was being restricted to outside clients by the default .ini blocking in urlscan. Commented out the .ini linke in urlscan.ini and much better :-)

- Ken

http://www.ciptug.org

lejack99
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with VPN Concentrator 4.7.2 and VPN Client 4.6.x.x trying to update the profile.

Does anyone have a solution? I am using the Windows 2003 Server IIS 6 as the distribution point.

try to unzip into folder, add MIME types for all file extensions and point to that HTTP folder.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: