cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client over Satellite Connection

cisco_ettc2006
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to connect to the network with VPN Client. We have a broadband satellite and I have tried using TCP/IP and UDP. I am not getting anywhere with it. I have pinged websites and it has come back at 1330 - 2770 ms. Is there anywhere I can increase settings for it to work?

2 Replies 2

mnorwood
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think you are going to have much luck over your satellite connection. The main problems you are going to come across are high latency and a smaller upstream pipe. Unfortunately, VPN connections don't have a lot of tolerance for delay. If it does happen to work, the performance will likely be akin to dial-up service.

That said, I know it can work, but unless you have the right equipment and resources to throw at the problem, all bets are off.

plemieux72
Level 1
Level 1

I've tested a site-to-site VPN on Ka-band satellite connection last year and was able to replicate server data across with no problems, although latency was 800 - 1200 ms round-trip. This worked fine for over a year but since then, my provider started to offer WiMax. We have since converted that site and it is MUCH better (60 ms latency).