cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client over Satellite Connection

cisco_ettc2006
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to connect to the network with VPN Client. We have a broadband satellite and I have tried using TCP/IP and UDP. I am not getting anywhere with it. I have pinged websites and it has come back at 1330 - 2770 ms. Is there anywhere I can increase settings for it to work?

2 Replies 2

mnorwood
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think you are going to have much luck over your satellite connection. The main problems you are going to come across are high latency and a smaller upstream pipe. Unfortunately, VPN connections don't have a lot of tolerance for delay. If it does happen to work, the performance will likely be akin to dial-up service.

That said, I know it can work, but unless you have the right equipment and resources to throw at the problem, all bets are off.

plemieux72
Level 1
Level 1

I've tested a site-to-site VPN on Ka-band satellite connection last year and was able to replicate server data across with no problems, although latency was 800 - 1200 ms round-trip. This worked fine for over a year but since then, my provider started to offer WiMax. We have since converted that site and it is MUCH better (60 ms latency).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: