cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WebVPN port forward on 127.0.0.2

jeff.cook
Level 1
Level 1

I have a software that can not connect to 127.0.0.1. I have read a few posts that say you can redirect ports using 127.0.0.2. I have tried that IP and it was not mapped. I have also looked to see if I can tell the redirect to be on 127.0.0.2, but can't find a way to set local IP.

What simple step am I missing?

Thank You

5 Replies 5

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

Jeff,

127.0.0.1 is only used on your local machine. This is usually used when your running a server and client that connects to itself.

If I'm off base here please post more about what your trying to do.

Patrick

The software client is designed to not allow a connection to 127.0.0.1. It will allow a connection to 127.0.0.2 however. So I need to map port 9600 on 127.0.0.2 to appserver1 port number 9600.

I think you would have a better chance of mapping the ports to an actual routable ip.

Patrick

r.vdoever
Level 1
Level 1

I understand the issue here, Microsoft TSAC (Terminal Server ActiveX Client or TSWeb) has the same problem, it doensn't allow you to connect to 127.0.0.1:1389 whereas the normal RDP-client does.

Though it's not very practical just now I added a MS Loopback interface to my PC. (Add hardware, network adapter). You can't assign a 127.0.0.x address because the 127-range is already reserved for the default loopback interface.

It would be great if you could tell the port-forwarding just to listen on a normally used active interface, such as the Cisco SSL VPN Adapter itself.

angeldustine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff,

This is the command to achieve what you want on an IOS device:

local-port 9600 remote-server "appserver1" remote-port 9600 description "appserver1"

The condition is that the host name "appserver1" must be resoved by DNS by the device on which WebVPN is configured (ip domain-lookup and ip name-server n.n.n.n). Or use ip host appserver1 n.n.n.n.

And if local-port and remote-port are the same (e.g. 9600), it will redirect to the next available 127.0.0.x loopback address.

Hope it helps.