cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the fastest VPN enabled Firewall Router that Cisco makes?

cmtyuser
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at VPN solutions and I'd like to know what the fastest VPN/Firewall router that Cisco makes is (in terms of bandwith capability).

Thanks

1 Reply 1

agironda
Level 1
Level 1

Hmrn... Router, not PIX?

Option 1:

The 7206VXR/NPE-300 with dual ISA's (Integrated Service Adapters) and/or NSE-1. Use the ISA's to hardware accelerate your IPSEC or PPTP/MPPE encryption. Use the NSE-1 to hardware accelerate your CEF, NAT, NetFlow, QoS, tunnels, and by using turbo ACLs. Get IP/FW/IDS software if you need CBAC or additional firewall features.

Option 2:

The 7576 dual RSP8 and/or VIP4-80's. Only distributes CEF, CAR, NetFlow, QoS, std, ext, named, or turbo access-lists, and GRE tunnels, however -- not NAT, IPSEC encryption, or other security technologies. Get IP/FW/IDS software if you need CBAC or additional firewall features.

If you are doing heavy IPSEC/L2TP and PPTP/MPPE (both), along with heavy CBAC configurations, I would probably go with Opt 1.

If you are doing heavy ACLs with CAR, Opt 2 gives you DCAR and distributed ACL capabilities. Across 5 or 6 VIP cards, this would be pretty fast, if you aggregate correctly.

I would guess Opt 1 is for more static topologies, and Opt 2 assumes a highly aggressive aggregation scheme.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: