cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aggregating traffic to hub and spoke topology without DMVPN (ASR1000)

mzammit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to set up a GRE tunnel so that clients with a static IP address can failover between LTE and cable while keeping the same IP address.

Initially, I have achieved this using DMVPN where the WAN IPs (for LTE and Docsis) were being resolved using NHRP at the aggregator's side.

However, since DMVPN is cisco proprietary I've been trying to implement a similar thing using Eogre without success. Can someone assist me with how EoGRE works (perhaps pointing me to some books that explain the theory) as the documentation assumes you already know the fundamental theory behind it?

Please appreciate that I cannot use a loopback interface and advertise it via OSPF as we cannot give such control to CPEs. Also, Dynamic DNS is not a solution since it cannot scale to the number of customers we plan to deploy this on.

To clarify, the problem here is that LTE IP's are dynamically assigned via IPCP which makes it very difficult to create a VPN tunnel without NHRP.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you can have traditional VPN point to point, but they need to always travel from main site to go back to other side,

that is the reason DMVPN you have 3 phase available, so site can talk each other with out involving HUB.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi wrote:

you can have traditional VPN point to point, but they need to always travel from main site to go back to other side,

that is the reason DMVPN you have 3 phase available, so site can talk each other with out involving HUB.

I agree. Phase 3 dmvpn would be the most efficient. However, DMVPN is not an option since this has to be vendor neutral. 

Is it possible to configure Ethernet over GRE (EoGRE) as a solution to this dynamic WAN IP assignment? If so where can I find some documentation on how EoGRE works? Or perhaps a .pcap so I could gain more insight about this topic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: