Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: PowerVu Network Control System

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Ron Weaver

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about PowerVu Network Control System. 

Cisco expert Ron Weaver covered the basic PNC operation, focusing on decoder management and service creation using a lab system. He went through the steps of authorizing and managing decoders, creating and scrambling services, and allowing decoders to access the service.

This is the continuation of the live webcast.

Ron Weaver is the tech lead for the DMN team in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Ron is responsible for supporting the DMN products for broadcasters, which include encoders, decoders, muxes, and control systems. He has worked for Cisco for 32 years, with 20 of those years working with digital video products and systems. Before joining the company, he spent four years in the air force, where he received his training in electronics. 

Remember to use the rating system to let Ron know if you have received an adequate response. 

Ron might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation in Service Providers,  sub-community Video discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 20, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Related Links

PowerVu Network Control System - Slides from live webcast

PowerVu Network Control System - Video from live webcast

PowerVu Network Control System - FAQ from live webcast

6 Replies 6

Hello Ron,

Could you please explain the process of what actually happens in the PNC system when a Force Tune occurs? 

Thank you,

Lisa

Lisa

when you do a force tune of a decode either from its profile or by doing a global edit, a message goes out in the ADP (Address Data Packet) that tells the IRD to tune to the channel that you select in the profile.

Because the ADP is targetet to a specific User Address  if you do multiple decoders with a golbal edit the decoder will tune when it receives its packets. So all decoders will not tune at the same time but when they receive their packet.

Thanks, Ron.  That was very helpful.  I do have another question.  What is the purpose of the PowerVu feature called "Service Replacement"? 

Lisa

Service replacement allows you to black out a service for decoder and have the decoder output and alternate service. The program number will stay the same but the content will will change to the alternate program. This is mostly used for sporting events to black out a region that's not allowed to broadcast the event. They will show the alternate program.

hhtyson11
Level 1
Level 1

Ron,

When I attempted to create a Service Replacement event, I get an error message that my program is not an alternate channel.  How can I make an alternate channel?  Looking forward to your answer.

Thanks.

Henry

When doing a service replacement event the channel that you want the decoder to tune to has to be defined as an "Alternate". This is done under "Channels" then "Service Summary" If you open the service Assignment page for the channel you want to define as an alternate you will see a drop down box labeled "Type" your two choices are "Primary" or "Alternate". Pick alternate for any channel you want to be able to use as an alternate service.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: