cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV4 to IPV6 Migration

boyer
Level 1
Level 1

I run a small ISP and have used IPV4 for years but don't "own" any of my ranges so upgrading bandwidth becomes a challenge as IPV4 addresses have become scarce.  I would like to migrate to an IPV6 range that I acquire from ARIN but what I've read so far says that IPV4 and IPV6 are separate networks and that you have to run dual stack to allow for connectivity between the two however I've read where it is possible to run/transport IPV4 over IPV6 and visa versa however I can't seem to find any web page or discussion on how to accomplish this.  When I surf from my phone with an IPV6 address to my web server on my IPV4 network it goes through.  My web server isn't dual stacked and when I look up the ip address for my phone it show an IPV6 address so somewhere between my phone and my web server the traffic get routed via some sort of IPV6 to IPV4 gateway to allow the connection to my web server.  Is there a name/names for this translation mechanism?  Is this something I would have to setup on my own network to allow IPV4 traffic to connect to my IPV6 network or is this machinery being automagically handled by upstream providers.

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Who is your Mobile Service Provider. I know T Mobile only assign IPv6 addresses on most of their user's phone and go through a NAT64 gateway when the destination host only have an IPv4 address.

You would also need to use NAT64 in your network to allow server with an IPv6 addresses to be accesible from IPv4 only clients.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Verizon Wireless is my cellular provider.  So short of dual stacking is NAT64 pretty much the defaco mechanism for allowing this sort of network connectivity between IPV6 machines wanting to connect to an IPV4 world?

That is correct. NAT64 is pretty much the only way to provide communication between IPv6 only and IPv4 only devices.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: