Views
Helpful
Replies

ISG IP subnet subscriber

v.prokofiev
Level 1
Level 1

Good day.

Subject feature seems to be a usefull one, but with a couple of nasty restrictions. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but we can't:

- give a subscriber arbitrary number of IP adresses, only powers of 2, like 4, 8, 16, 32, etc;

- place two different address spaces in one session, like 4 + 16 addresses from different parts of address space. We'll have to give him a new block of 32 IPs, or create 2 different sessions with separate configuration(like policer or QoS).

This seems to be a lot of inconvenience to me.

Isn't there another way to place different IPs in one session? In example, giving a list of these IPs in a RADIUS attribute upon user authentication(I assume we have routed or L2-connected subscriber, with well-known MACs/IPs)?

4 Replies 4

Hi,

We have a similar scenario here. Did you get this or the IP subnet based sessions to work. Any pointers?

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Vladimir,

for IP subnet sessions, ISG will actually be configured in the same way of IP sessions, meaning that it will create an IP session when a packet with an unknown source address is received.

When the subscriber will be authorized, it may have a Framed-IP-Netmask attribute in the Radius profile.

If the attribute is present, ISG will convert the session to IP subnet session.

So the limitation is actually given by the Framed-IP-Netmask you configure in Radius.

The alternative would be to assign the whole interface (or subinterface) to a single session, matching whatever IP the users may have there.

Regards

Marco

Hi,

We are trying to provision PPPoE, TAL and ip subnet subscribers on the same routed interface.

The PPPoE and TAL scenarios are working fine. the IP subnet session is getting created but packets dont flow. Did anyone of you make this work?

Regards

DP

That's different from what Vladimir is saying.

Most probably there is a misconfigured service that drops all the traffic.

I suggest you to create a new thread for that issue.