cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
sarahr202
Contributor

mac domains in cable isp and ip subnets

Hi everybody.

Do we use one ip subnet per mac domain? In other words , if we have two mac domains ,domain1 and domain 2.Will domain1 require one ip subnet and domainp2 require another subnet?

I learned  how a CMTS is connected to a headend? How about if we have two CMTS? How do they connect to the headend?

thanks and have a great day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Manuel Rodriguez
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

You can use on IP subnet for all your MAC domains in a CMTS, one IP subnet per MAC domain or whatever combination you want. Basically, on the Cisco CMTS, the IP layer of the connectivity towards the cable modems is handled by a bundle interface. You must associate a bundle to each MAC domain being used. It doesn't need to be the same bundle so you can basically do whatever you want (depending on your IP addressing scheme).

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say with your second question about connecting 2 CMTS to headend...

Best regards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Manuel Rodriguez
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

You can use on IP subnet for all your MAC domains in a CMTS, one IP subnet per MAC domain or whatever combination you want. Basically, on the Cisco CMTS, the IP layer of the connectivity towards the cable modems is handled by a bundle interface. You must associate a bundle to each MAC domain being used. It doesn't need to be the same bundle so you can basically do whatever you want (depending on your IP addressing scheme).

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say with your second question about connecting 2 CMTS to headend...

Best regards.

View solution in original post

Thanks Manuel.

Antenna----Combiner-----CMTS---fiber

I was just wondering if we have  2nd CMTS , how do we connect it to head end?  Then  I just found a link which shows we can simply connect it to Combiner.

Thanks and have a great day.

Content for Community-Ad

This widget could not be displayed.