Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS label scale

jigojar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is their a way to reduce the mpls label. I have limitation of 1M labels. I am running the ipv4 labelled unicast.

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @jigojar ,

You would normally only advertise the loopback interface addresses in a BGP LU scenario and you would only allocate labels to these prefixes, which means that 1M labels is more than sufficient. Is this for IOS or for XR? Please tell us more about what you are trying to do so we can better help you.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold Ritter,
Thanks for reply.
We are running the ipv4-labelled unicast AFI so for each and every ipv6 prefix consuming the labels, because of the per-prefix label allocation my router reaching the 1M limit.
Is their any way to avoid the per-prefix label allocation and allocate the label based on the router loopback or neighbor basis.

Hi @jigojar ,

1. You mentioned you are using IPv4 label unicast, but for IPv6 prefixes. Can you please explain? 

2. The full IPv6 Internet routing table is currently at around 100k prefixes. I am not sure why you are getting close to the 1M labels limit. Please provide more info.

3. Is this 6VPE or 6PE services using BGP-LU? 

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

We are running the 6PE

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: