cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please share failover ISP experiences.

bon_durant1
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco router chosen partly for the USB port supporting failover internet service.

We have not found the supply market we expected for failover ISP service that we can use to plug this hole.  My fault, perhaps, for not researching this in advance.

As a temporary measure, we are considering NetZero's free plan with a one-time purchased 3G USB device.  This price is right for a service we hope never to use.  Slow service would be acceptable for short, rare periods.  This measure would be temporary because NetZero's free plan is not renewable after one year.

We would be willing to pay more for service when we use it, if we can pay little-to-nothing for service when we do not use it.  Per-bit ISP pricing would appeal to us but we have not found it in our area.

Can anyone relate their experiences with specific ISPs used for failover service?

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have to give specific ISPs when you don't say where in the world you are.

Anyone's experience anywhere with an ISP for failover service would make welcome reading.  I am hopeful that I will not be the only reader.

bon_durant1
Level 1
Level 1

It's been almost a month and no responsive replies yet.  Thanks D'Ath for trying but that's not what I asked.  I was hoping this would be a place people would post + and - experiences regarding failover internet service, including plan pricing scheme, actual prices optional.  I'm about ready to conclude that no one willing to talk about it has configured a Cisco device's USB port for failover internet service.

Incidentally I just edited the intial post to remove the reference to a specific Cisco model, since my question is not about that.  I've also moved the post into the Service Providers discussion, to see if fishing is better here.