Views
Helpful
Replies

PTP vs network-clock

vin.marco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all
can someone explain to me the difference between the ptp and the network-clock?
They are the same thing?
I can configure the first on L2 devices while the second on a router.
Thanks

2 Replies 2

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I think only if you have a business requirement for scientifically accurate time such as nanosecond or picosecond-level synchronization You may want to consider PTP, Otherwise NTP should definitely suffice for your business. 

ptp_ntp.JPG

NTP Servers

An NTP server is directly connected to a highly accurate timekeeping source, like the GPS satellite network that orbits the Earth. The server receives time information from the GPS satellites, uses algorithms to process the information, and then broadcasts it to all devices on the network that are requesting time information. NTP servers like our TM1000A can synchronize clocks and other local network devices with nearly millisecond accuracy, which suits most business and industrial needs for time serving accuracy. However, if greater than millisecond synchronization accuracy is required, a PTP server might be the best bet.

PTP Servers

PTP  is another network-based time synchronization standard, but instead of millisecond-level synchronization,

PTP networks aim to achieve nanosecond- or even picosecond-level synchronization.

For most commercial and industrial applications, NTP is more than accurate enough, but if you need even tighter synchronization and timestamping, you'll need to migrate to a PTP server.

PTP timestamping so accurate because It uses hardware timestamping instead of software, and like any other fine scientific instrument, PTP equipment is dedicated to one specialized purpose: keeping devices synchronized. For that reason alone, PTP networks have much sharper time resolutions, and unlike NTP, PTP devices will actually timestamp the amount of time that synchronization messages spend in each device, which accounts for device latency.

Thanks pman for your reply
maybe if I explain my problem you can give me a more detailed answer.

clock -------> ASR 903 -------> C9300/C9400 -------> C9300/C9400 -------> ASR 903

I need to synchronize devices through the clock taken from an E1.
The clock is taken from an ASR903, in the BITS interface.
It is sent to the second ASR through a TenG.
Everything works correctly.

Now they asked us to insert between the two ASRs, two 9300 switches, which do not forward the clock to the second ASR.

From cisco guides, I have noticed that it is possible to configure PTP on the 9300/9400 for clock synchronization.

Do you think I can solve my problem?
Do I configure "network-clock sync" on the router and ptp on the switch?
I do not know if I was clear.