Views
Helpful
Replies

rt-filter or route-policy in a route-reflector

j.restaino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to implement a route reflector that i will use in two differents networks with differents VPNL3. So i do not want that my route reflector advertise the prefixes form a network to the other. I am using an ASR9000 with IOS XR 4.3.2 as route reflector.

I tried two differents configurations in a testing enviroment and both work fine, one applying route-policy filtering by RD, and another using RT-filter. But i do not know what is better to implement on production. I will appreciate if somebody could help me to decide what is the best to implement in a production Network, thinking in the resources of the network and in the IPv6 deployment (i could not configure RT Filter with address-family ipv6)

With route-policy

rd-set RD_XXX

65000:*

end-set

!

route-policy to_XXX

if rd in RD_XXX then

pass

else

drop

endif

end-policy

!

route-policy to_YYY

if rd in RD_XXX then

drop

else

pass

endif

end-policy

!

router bgp 65001

neighbor-group XXX

remote-as 65001

address-family vpnv4 unicast

route-reflector-client

route-policy to_XXX out

!

neighbor-group YYY

remote-as 650001

update-source Loopback0

address-family vpnv4 unicast

route-reflector-client

route-policy to_YYY out

with RT-Filter

router bgp 65001

address-family ipv4 rt-filter

!

neighbor-group XXX

route-reflector-client

soft-reconfiguration inbound always

!

neighbor-group YYY

route-reflector-client

soft-reconfiguration inbound always

!

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

One benefit I see with rt-filter is, this feature provides considerable savings in CPU cycles and transient memory usage, generally this will be beneficial when you have large number of prefixes to be filtered, as you do not need to define route-policy for all the prefixes, and also it simple to configure (only one command )

Look at the  Restrictions for BGP: RT Constrained Route Distribution in below document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/iproute_bgp/configuration/guide/irg_rt_filter_xe.html

HTH

Regards,

Sandip

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

One benefit I see with rt-filter is, this feature provides considerable savings in CPU cycles and transient memory usage, generally this will be beneficial when you have large number of prefixes to be filtered, as you do not need to define route-policy for all the prefixes, and also it simple to configure (only one command )

Look at the  Restrictions for BGP: RT Constrained Route Distribution in below document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/iproute_bgp/configuration/guide/irg_rt_filter_xe.html

HTH

Regards,

Sandip

Thanks Sandip, i  will consider.

Regards

José

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: