Views
Helpful
Replies

SCE 2020 3.6.5

k.vlachoulis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

My answer is whether or not SCE can block Skype and p2p traffic.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Shelley Bhalla
Level 3
Level 3

Short answer is yes.

Shelley.

Thanks Shelley for the quick response

Your answer is not in the same line with the tests that i performed. I have a package that blocks and redirects browsing and the default that blocks all the traffic. Skype traffic is allowed instead of that. The only way that i found is to make a rule for skype and decrease the bandwidth to 4kbps so as the VoIP to be unusable and FT slow. Instant messaging cannot be blocked.

PLease give me your experience.

Kanellos

Yes, That is why I responded with the words "short answer".

I have been troubleshooting SCE for over 5 years now. It all depends on the OS and the protocol pack you are using. And this kind of stuff quickly turns nasty (as in from troubleshooting perspective).

What OS and PP are you on?

What P2P App is not being throttled?

Skype is definatly working in the latest protocol pack as I have not seen any other customers complain but I do not mean to say it is not a new issue.

You can answer these questions but because this can lead in to a full blown troubleshooting issue, I suggest you open a TAC case.

Shelley.

I performed the tests with 3.6.5 and protocol packs 23 and 25. I also enable the tunables in order to bundle all the skype services in one, but it didn't have any success.

I haven't tested any other p2p application, but i am sure that if i do that i will find many applications that would not be blocked.

I have a TAC case and the advice is to throttle the bandwidth of this service. I believe that this is not an acceptable solution as this feature is one of the key features that SCE has and the reason that one SP would like to buy this product.

Kanellos

I verified that in PP25 the supported skype version is 5.3. At this time they have a new version out 5.5. This is ofcourse not supported at this time. Did you test PP25 with 5.3 or lower versions?

Refer to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/cable/serv_exch/serv_control/broadband_app/protocol_pack/PP_Note_current.html

Shelley.

The tests performed with skype version 5.1. The package that i have is configured to block the default rule, block and redirect the browsing and allow the traffic to specific ip addresses.

When i created another package with default rule blocked and nothing else, i saw that not even skype passes.

I took wireshrk output and i saw http get to the conn.skype.com that passing through the SCE. In regards to the browsing rule it must be redirected to the url that i have configured. Another one thing that i saw is that when i am trying to reach the url www.skype.com, it is not redirected too.

I don;t know why this happens.

kanellos

Is Multistage classification enabled or disabled? Try flipping that switch.

You can find that in Configuration -> Policies -? System Settings -> Advance Options -> Advance options -> Multistage Clasification.

It is important to know what Skype is being classified as. Did the TAC engineer that worked with you capture TUR's to understand this issue better?

Shelley.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: