cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scientific-Atlanta PowerVu D9850 keeps rebooting endlessly

onetoncrewcab1
Level 1
Level 1

I posted this question earlier but now I found this forum and I think my question fits here better. I normally don't cross post like this. Please forgive me.

I have a few Scientific-Atlanta PowerVu D9850 receivers that reboot endlessly. It gets to the "Application Starting" and then starts the boot process over.

I CANNOT get to the menu system.

Is there a key combination to press on these to do a factory reset or something? As I cannot get to a menu system, I don't know if these have an IP address assigned to access them through a web browser.

I've checked 10 of these and they are all doing the same thing. I find that rather odd.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

My only guess is that someone tried to do an update on them and it didn't work....and didn't stop on the first one....

Thanks!

Mike

3 Replies 3

Fred Yee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your receiver is in a state of 'constant reboot', it is considered to be in a critical failed state, and may not be recoverable.  At this point, you will be limited to only a few options.

1. Disconnect any input signal to the receiver (ie. RF input).
2. Apply AC power to the unit.
3. If the unit continues to reboot constantly, disconnect the AC power again.
4. Hold the SELECT button, and apply AC power to the unit.
5. Release the SELECT button when you see messages that the unit is booting in safe app mode.
6. If the unit continues to reboot constantly, there is no other option but repair.

If you are able to recover the receiver in safe app mode, then you may wish to erase all app codes, and re-install the latest version app code.  To erase app code:

Main Menu - Setup - Admin.
Scroll down to 'Application Select', choose the version, and select ERASE (NOTE: You cannot erase the SAFE app version).

To install the latest version 2.61 app code (filename: D98xx_APP_R02.61.00DD.cdt), you must use the Download Trigger/TFTP Server utilities.  Please contact DMN Support (dmn_support@cisco.com) for assistance. 

I figured out the problem....the company that I bought these from pulled the chip that stores the menu system and most likely the settings.

If I stand in front of the system, this chip is all the way to the front and about 4 inches from the right side of the board.

Is this a standard chip that I can buy and then reload the above firmware?

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

There are no user serviceable parts in the receiver.  If chips were removed from the unit, there is no other option but repair of the unit.  Please contact Cisco DMN Support for details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: