Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow PPPoE Connection via VDSL

andypoore
Level 1
Level 1

All

I have deployed a Cisco 877 router with PPPoE via an enthernet connection to a service provider modem. It connects without issue, but the download speed is only 7Mb whereas it should be 40Mb. If I connect my laptop directly I get the correct speed suggesting the issue is with the Cisco router.

The interesting thing is regardless of which device I use, laptop or router I get an upload spped of 7Mb almost suggesting the router is throttling the download to the same speed as the upload.

I need to do some more testing , ie the VI only shows a received bandwidth of 56Kbps, but is anybody able to shed some light on this?

1 Reply 1

andypoore
Level 1
Level 1

Update

I found that be disabling everything possible and enabling performance elements such as CEF I could get the speed upto 15Mb, in conclusion the Cisco 877 is just doesn't have the processing power to support PPPoE via a VDSL modem for a FTTC service.

The workaround was to go and buy an over the counter Linksys (Cisco) E4200 home router, create a DMZ mapping for the Cisco 877 for the L2L VPN and add a route in the E4200 for VPN traffic.

Not ideal, but needed to update to 802.11n anyway, if only the E4200 supported VPN's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: