There are several initiatives to achieve that.
1. Beamforming for sure. It can balance much better the initial CAPEX/OPEX with subscriber acquisition by providing larger coverage and capacity with smaller amount of sites. It also can provide much better customer satisfaction/experience in indoor environment. Cisco WiMAX BF can save up to 50% of sites compared to 2-ANT systems.
2. Green BS. Cisco new WiMAX BS (BWX-8415) reduces in up to 50% the consumption of energy compared to previous generations. It means less infra-structure, less OPEX with energy, batteries, air-conditioning, O&M, etc.
3. Open Air Interface. Besides there is WiMAX Forum Certification to guarantee a certain level of IOT, WiMAX failed in create a diversity of terminals such as the success of GSM. This has a huge impact in the business plan. Most vendors of BS are also vendors of CPEs and the network only works or works only better if used the pair BS-CPE from the same vendor. For a medium-long term strategy it's much better to allow the operator and mainly, the market to decide which is the best cpe for what. Cisco WiMAX solution works under WiMAX Forum 16e Wave 2 Standard and has a program of IOT that perform a solid list of procedures and tests to provide to SPs the list of CPEs compatible with Cisco Solution. Today there is more than 20 different type of terminals and the list is still increasing. There are different cpes for all needs, such as indoor, mobility, outdoor, fixed, multimedia, etc.
4. The WiMAX is not only about RAN. It is important to to think the entire E2E network. Also, as any broadband wireless network, transport links most of the time represents a huge CAPEX or OPEX (if used leased links) to the business. Cisco is the right partner to provide the E2E customized, optimized, efficient IP transportation and IP CORE for the WiMAX access.
5. Redution of Site acquisition costs. Cisco new generation of BS (BWX-8415) has all electronics together with the antenna. This means that there is no need for greenfield spaces (only for energy/backbone). The BS can be installed in poles, towers, building face walls, etc, making very flexible and cheaper the site acquisition costs.
Many other initiatives can be listed here, but I believe that these 5 topics can be a good start.
WiMAX CSE LATAM