Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 AP randomly disassociates due to "Watchdog Timer Reset"

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Community,

I am having a very peculiar issue wherein an 1142 WAP is randomly disassociating and powering down due to what the Trap log is calling a "Watchdog Timer Reset." The only way I can get it back up is to power cycle the AP. Currently the AP is being powered by a Cisco Power Injector. Is this a hardware of software issue with the AP itself? From what I read about Watchdog Timers it sounds like it could be. I posted below the Trap Log output after I power cycled the AP:

7Wed Apr  3 11:23:54 2013AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20  Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA
8Wed Apr  3 11:23:54 2013AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20  Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA
9Wed Apr  3 11:23:54 2013AP's Interface:1(802.11a) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20  Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA
10Wed Apr  3 11:23:54 2013AP's Interface:1(802.11a) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20  Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA
11Wed Apr  3 11:23:51 2013AP's Interface:1(802.11a) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20  Cause=Unknown Reset Status:NA
12Wed Apr  3 11:23:51 2013AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20  Cause=Unknown Reset Status:NA
13Wed Apr  3 11:23:51 2013AP  'Room501', MAC: a8:b1:d4:9c:9c:20 disassociated previously due to AP  Reset. Uptime: 0 days, 00 h 01 m 18 s . Reason: watchdog timer reset.

This happens over and over. I will power cycle the AP and usually within a 24 hour period it will reset again. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chris.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

v7.3 does not have the bonjour gateway only v7.4. This is a big issue which you either have to deal with until a fix comes out or you download to v7.3 and use a bonjour gateway specified in this document. I don't deploy v7.4 with any 1142's and I don't deploy v7.3 with any 3600's due to bugs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

WLC version?

show logging from the AP?

Yahya,

Its a 5508 WLC running software version 7.4.100.0. I am not sure about the Logs on the AP, is there any way I can see those other than hooking a console cable directly up to it? Thanks.

Chris.

There is a current bug with the 1142 and WLC v7.4.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is the bug id. You would need to downgrade to the latest v7.3.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCud97983

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a very recent thread that is the same issue you are facing.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2208451

-Scott

Scott,

Thank you for this, I too suspected a bug with this software version. The problem with downgrading is that we are heavily depending on the new mDNS feature in the 7.4 software to service all the Apple TV's we have on campus. I work at a school that has rolled out BYOD with iPads. Im not sure if the 7.3 software has the mDNS capability. Does it?

Chris.

v7.3 does not have the bonjour gateway only v7.4. This is a big issue which you either have to deal with until a fix comes out or you download to v7.3 and use a bonjour gateway specified in this document. I don't deploy v7.4 with any 1142's and I don't deploy v7.3 with any 3600's due to bugs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

-Scott

Scott,

Thank you so much for your contribution to this thread. I will speak with the management and let them make a decision. In the future is there a place I can go to see if there are any reported bugs with whatever software version I have on my equipment? Thanks.

Chris.

Well typically I will look at the release notes for the code. It will show open and closed caveats, but there still might be some unpublished bugs. It's probably good to take a look at the bug toolkit or post on the forum with what code you want to upgrade to and what AP's you have, etc. Here is a link to the bug toolkit.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/action.do?hdnAction=searchBugs

-Scott

Scott,

Thank you for this. I will use these resources more often before posting on the forum .

Thanks again.

Chris.

I would always post on the forum no matter what as this is your best bet to get an answer from an engineer on the field or a TAC or System Engineer from Cisco along with maybe someone from the WNBU team. This way you can know if any gotchas others have dealt with which might not be in any release notes or bug toolkit.

There are a lot of good feedback you will get on the Cisco forums!!!

-Scott

Hi Chris,

if you have 7.4 for the mDNS, i would suggest to open a TAC case, and check if there is any special image that might help you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card