Views
Helpful
Replies

1242-AG Repeater Mode Fails To Associate to 1242-AG Access Point

steverk999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have just installed 3 access points along with 6 repeater access points all running V12.4. They are all AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9 using the 2.4GHz radio.

Prior to installation I bench tested that the repeaters would associate with the access points and if one of the access points was turned off the repeaters would automatically roam to another access point. I did not have all 9 devices powered up at the same time, but did have 2 repeaters and 2 access points powered up to simulate association and roaming.

During installation as access points and repeaters were powered up everything behaved as expected (repeaters were associating to access points etc.) however during installation once everything was installed the 3 access points were all powered down for half an hour or so and once powered back on the repeaters did not automatically re-associate until they were re-booted. Once rebooted they associated to the access points that i would expect them to based on the general topology below.

Repeater  position in relation to Access Point             Access Point

AP1, AP2, AP3                                                 AP4 Channel 1 (with AIR-2465P-R diversity patch pointing towards the repeaters)

AP5 Channel 6 (with AIR-2506 Omni x 2 positioned between AP4 & AP6)

AP9, AP8, AP7                                                 AP6 Channel 11 (with AIR-2465P-R diversity patch pointing towards the repeaters)

Once associate the repeaters re-associated to the following access points

AP1, AP2, AP3               associated to AP4

AP7                                associated to AP5

AP9, AP8                       associated to AP6.

Only one SSID is configured,

No VLANs are used,

Encryption is WPA2 (AES-CCM)

and the repeaters are using the default setting of "infrastructure-ssid optional"

I have now configured the repaters with parent MAC addresses to reflect the above current assocaition pattern but not yet powered off the access points to test if this forces re-association as this is now a live operational site!!

Is it normal to have to re-boot the repeaters if ALL 3 access points are powered down at the same time? i.e. If only one access point is powered down will the repeaters automaically roam to another access point o.k.??

Hope this all makes sense!

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information by is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please use the parent command and the parent timeout command and see if that helps..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_8_JA/command/reference/bcrmain.html#wp2459621

lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surenda

thanks for your reply.

I have configured the repeaters to use parent MAC addresses in order of parent proximity and signal strength order.

The timeout has been left disabled.

The repeaters have not been re-booted adter adding the MAC addresses (live operational site)

Regarding my original post is it normal to have to re-boot repeaters to get them to re-asociate to the access points in the event that the access points have all been powered off? I'm assuming not.

There is another 802.11b/g network operating in the area so i'm wondering if this might be causing interference to the repeaters making them continually scan and not lock onto the parent access points?  I could implement "limited channel scanning" if this is possibly causing a problem.

REgards

Steve

Hi,

If you have configured the parent command and if you have not specified PARENT TIMEOUT then i guess the use of parent command doesnot make sence..

Please configure the parent timeout and see if that helps...

Regarding the Reboot, If its Root and Non-Root, we nornally Reboot the Non root and this helps in 90% of the time but not required, however in the Repeater we do not need a reboot, but configure the Preant timeout.

Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

For me it sounds like an IOS issue.

Make sure that all units are running the same and the latest IOS.

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information by is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: