cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 access point temperature readings

jwinters99
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to get a temperature reading from within the access point?  I need to install access points on a large scale across a campus and they are going to be inside of a nema enclosure and out in the direct sun most likely.  I have one that i have setup the way they are going to be deployed but i want to find out what the internal temperature of the ap is several times throughout the day.  i know what the data sheets say they can operate in so please dont respond with those numbers.  i am looking for a way to get real world operating temperatures from my test box.  is there a command that i cant find or dont know about?  by the way, its an autonomous ap right now.                  

9 Replies 9

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not finding any commands to show the temperature.  I'm only seeing some commands for bridges.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve, i wonder if the commands would still work, after all its IOS.

JW did you try the below command ? I dont have a autonmous ap in front of me. Also when you say "its an autonmous right now". What do you mean by that ... What will it end up being MESH, CAPWAP, what ?

bridge# show environment

Environmental Statistics

Environmental status as of 00:10:45 UTC Thu Mar 27 2003

Data is 3 second(s) old, refresh in 57 second(s)

Dot11Radio0 temperature measured at 37(C)
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I tried them on my 1142 at home and it didn't work

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

I tried them on my 1142 at home 

Whaaaa?  No 3600 and a WLC at home?  Tsk, tsk, tsk ...

3600 yes, WLC no.  Need ot get a 2504 and the vWLC just to play with in the house.  Oh and thanks for reminding me I need to get my VM server up and running....jerk! lol

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

LOL

the show environment is does not work.  i am going to be surveying the outdoor campus and i am going to be using an autonomous ap for the survey.  it will ultimetly by capwap.  mesh is not an option.  my compnay doesnt want to use it.  i want to set this nema box outside with the ap running and i want to be able to monitor the internal temp of the ap.  i want to see real world what it will be running at.

I am wondering something.  When the datasheet says its operating temperature is between -4 and 131 is that air temperature or the temp of the AP itself?  I did a test the other day and sealed my 1252 in a sealed NEMA box and left it in the sun for a couple of hours.  The outside temperature only reached about 88 that day but the temperature inside the box was about 115 and the actual AP temperature reached 133 based on an infrared temperature reading.  Does anyone know if its actual AP temp or outside temp?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: