Views
Helpful
Replies

1252AP losing network connectivity

lily.chang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am in need of assistance with one of our autonomous 1252APs. It loses network connectivity irregularly and ends up disconnecting everyone. It may stay up from a few days to a few weeks. I don't see any log messages that give any clues to why it is doing this. We have 30 of these working worldwide (on the same software level and same config) and this is the only one having the problem.

Things I have tried:

• Changing software levels - there is a code level where it didn't seem to have this issue, but I can't run it because then I'm unable to monitor it in our monitoring system.
  • Swapping out wireless access points
  • Re-terminating the cable on the AP side, it was really difficult to get the network cable into the AP while swapping it out
  • Blocking a company test piece of equipment from connecting using the mac address filtering (it connects with one of their test IPs - weird) – I still see it connecting though
  • I don't see high utilization on the switch port when the issue happens

I had a few cases open with TAC, and they were unable to find anything wrong - gave them sh techs of prior to the event and after the event. It was one of those where the tickets were open for a weeks with no updates.

I am wondering... could a client cause this? Any other ideas as to what I should try?

Any assistance would be wonderful!

Regards,

Lily

9 Replies 9

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did we change the switchport on the Switch and test once?? in the mean time send "show tech" from the AP and Switchport on which the AP is connected running config, Native VLAN on the Switch and AP..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

No, we never looked at the switchport config. Is there a way for me to send the sh tech and sh run attachments to you without having to go through the config and X things out?

u can test by changing the switchport.. n u can post the configs here by attaching!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

I just eanted to know why w=do we have 40 and 18 as native on the switch?? it should be just one VLAN acting as the Native right??

Is this the way rest all APs are installed??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

This is how the other APs and switches are setup at this site.

Regards,

Lily

Hi Surendra,

I changed the switchport the AP was connected to on Friday and it just had the issue. Do you have any other suggestions as to what I should try?

Regards,

Lily

stuart.hopper
Level 1
Level 1

Seems like the same problem I have experienced. usually after reboot 1252 AP sometimes loses all layer 3 communication with switch the AP appears in CDP Neightbours but no IP address is shown in detail (IP address is statically set on AP). The AP still broadcasts SIDD's but no network communication is possible for clients further reboots sometimes fix this but often a factory reset is required which is not easy as AP's are in ceiling did you get to the bottom of the problem I've tried different firmware but so far nothing is fixing this issue (it is sporadic and some of my sites have never experienced this issue but the same template configs are used globally)

Hi Stuart,

1.  This issue is affecting SOME of your WAPs and not all, is this correct?

2.  When the WAPs disconnects the clients, can you still see or manage the WAP?

3.  What are in the logs of the WAPs?

4.  Can you check the WAP's flash if there are any "crashinfo" files/sub-directory?  If there are, can you please post the latest three?

Hi Stuart,

I was never able to get an answer from Cisco TAC. What I ended up doing was rolling back to a previous software level, one that was stable prior to the flakiness happening. It sounds like you've tried multiple code levels... not sure if you've tried any that used to be stable for you.

Good luck!

Lily

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card