cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1524, how many Lightning Arrestors?

shasanain
Level 1
Level 1

We want - based on customer requirements - to protect the outdoor APs and the infrastructure behind them from transient voltage surges and near-miss lightning.

I read in this forum that it is better to protect the infrastructure behind the APs by inserting a fiber link in between but we have to meet our customer requirements and protect the AP itself, which makes more sense.

The questions I have are the following:

1. Our APs are 1524SB's with two 5GHz antennas and 3 2.4GHz antennas. How many lightning arrestors should we use?
  2. The connector type for the AP and antenna is N-type. The only lightning arrestor from Cisco is AIR-ACC245LA-R and it has an RP-TNC connector which is incompatible. Any recommended 3rd party item like Cushcraft or PolyPhaser? What is the part number to be used?
2 Replies 2

shasanain
Level 1
Level 1

I just got this PolyPhaser part with the correct connector types (N-type male for the protected side, and N-type female for the antenna side).

The part is AL-LSXM-ME. Now the question remains, how many should we install for a 5-antenna AP?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When I had to use external antennas connected back to the ap via lmr cable, we used one per antenna connection. Bridge requirements vary from manufacture. Some require arrestors outside and at times another one located inside.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card