cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1562i CAPWAP fails to join Controller AND single 1562i Mobility Express Controller won't upgrade software

helpdesk155
Level 1
Level 1

Was wondering if anybody can help me out. Having issues with 2 1562i APs.

The 1562i CAPWAP AP running  8.3.150.0 has the bug "Discovery response from MWAR ''running version 0.0.0.0 is rejected." so it won't join the other 1562i Mobility Express AP. Interestingly the Mobility Express AP doesn't have a backup image so it does report that missing backup image as version 0.0.0.0, so maybe that's the issue?

So to fix this I thought I would just update the software on the Mobility Express AP but it fails to upgrade it's software because it a single AP and doesn't have any subordinate AP to upgrade.

Any advise on how to get these APs fixed without climbing a pole to retrieve the master AP?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

helpdesk155
Level 1
Level 1

Any way to force a software update on a 1562i Mobility Express AP when changing ap-type from capwap to ME? This AP is mobility express capable so it says update not needed changing type to ME when the command is issued "ap-type mobility-express tftp://TFTP Server/ap3g3". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

So lets convert one of the APs to ME and shut the current controller down... so I can upgrade off 8.3.150.0 to 8.8.125.0 which shouldn't have the "Discovery response from MWAR ''running version 0.0.0.0 is rejected." Bug

##archive download-sw /reload tftp://0.0.0.0/AIR-AP1560-K9-ME-8-8-125-0.tar
######################################################################## 100.0%
Image downloaded, writing to flash...
do PREDOWNLOAD, part2 is active part
Image signing verify success.
upgrade.sh: part to upgrade is part1
tar: write error: No space left on device
upgrade.sh: Command "tar -xf /tmp/part.tar -C /bootpart/part1" failed.
upgrade.sh: df /bootpart/part1
upgrade.sh: du -h /bootpart/part1
upgrade.sh: Writing image to disk...
sh: 1K-blocks: unknown operand
upgrade.sh: AP backup version: 8.8.125.0
do ACTIVATE, part2 is active part
upgrade.sh: activate part1, set BOOT to part1
upgrade.sh: AP primary version: 8.8.125.0
upgrade.sh: AP backup version: 8.3.150.0
Archive done.

upgrade: AP Rebooting: CLI triggered reboot(archive command)

oh my ... so flash is to small? Anybody have any suggestions, any would be appreciated, especially recommendations for AP vendors who put enough flash in their devices ....

For some reason Cisco have always been frugal when it comes to flash on AP's so not unusual to encounter this type of situation.
- Check that there aren't any other images on the flash which can be deleted to create enough space
- If necessary you'll have to delete the running image to create space for the new one. It goes without saying that you need to make sure you don't reload it without a working image otherwise you'll be doing a ROMMON recovery.
- Presume you've checked the release notes for any warnings/caveats/advice about this? Sometimes Cisco actually find problems like this and include info in the release notes.

Thanks rrudling,

I was able to find an image that fit and get the other APs up and running and then was able upgrade everything to 8.5.151.0 which at the moment has no problems. The original AP I believe has a hardware issue as it's now in a boot loop vomiting status messages for every single electron that passes through it in typical unix fashion, I have tried breaking in and stop the logging but i never get there before it reboots. I can stop at Uboot, so if you have any ideas on how to get a good image on this I would appreciate it

Thanks

I've not tried to recover one of these myself but on Leo's post at https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/how-do-cisco-8-series-aps-upgrade-firmware-under-uboot-ap1852/m-p/3767812/highlight/true#M98869 he says "You will need to contact TAC because they will guide you on how to do this takes a long, long time." and I've seen that same advice in a few other places so I think you're faced with RMA or TAC assistance.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: