Views
Helpful
Replies

2 x 5760 WLC Active-Active Deployment?

Joana Manzano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have seen that it is possible to stack two 5760 WLC for Active-Standby HA Deployments. However, I was wondering if it is possible to have an Active-Active deployment instead.

We currently have one 5760 Controller as Guest Anchor in the DMZ and it is under heavy utilization so it is complaining about Low Memory (I cannot even login using the console port). So I was wondering what are the best alternatives that I have to resolve this issue. We already have a second 5760 controller and I was planning to stack them soon. Now, seeing the number of connections is too high, an Active-Standby deployment I think it won’t help.

I guess I can always install the second controller in the network as “independent active controller” and split the load between the one that is already in the DMZ and the new one splitting the number of mobility tunnels from the foreign/core controllers.

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Joana.

2 Replies 2

zdesignstudio
Level 4
Level 4

Setup the second controller as a separate anchor in the DMZ and configure to internal WLCs accordingly.

When you anchor a WLAN to (2) anchor controllers, the controllers automagically load balance guest associations. Example: 2 guests are attached to SSID: GUEST-WIFI. Guest 1 goes to anchor 1 and guest 2 goes to anchor 2. You dont configure anything, this happens automatically.

In regards to failover, if you pull the plug to anchor 1. The EoIP tunnel breaks between the anchor and the foreign controller. Guest that were on anchor 1 will require reauthentication and then join to anchor 2.

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as correct if applicable.

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as correct if applicable.

Hi,

Great, I didn't know foreing controllers were able to load balance connections automatically between anchor controllers. I will give it a try and I will let you know if it fixes the issue.

Thanks a lot,

Joana.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card