Views
Helpful
Replies

2800i vs 2800e (antennas consideration)

gtognin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

considering a new WiFi deployment is really hard for me to consider 2802E Access Point using AIR-AN2535SDW-R ("stubby" antennas) instead 2802I. From Radiation Pattern point of view seems they look equivalent. Again, 2802I have more Antenna Gain for 2.4GHZ (4dBi) meanwhile for 5GHz it's identical, so AP with internal antennas should be preferred against 2802E+stubby.

So why should I use "stubby" APs considering they're cost is higher?

Reference:

External Antennas: Stubby Antennas ant2535sdwr

Internal: 2800I Data Sheet (Radiation Pattern at bottom)

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The use of “I” vs “e” is dependent on the install. Some might prefer the “e” because they need a different gain or focused pattern. The rule of thumb for typical office space ceiling install is the “I”. I don’t see a need to use an “e” unless it’s a very high ceiling or I need to use specific focus pattern antenna.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott,
I understand what you mean, but I'd like to focus on "stubby", no other kind of external antenna.
So my question is, when I need to use Stubby instead internal? Internal antennas perform better and are cheaper than "stubby".
G.

When you have a bunch of “e” aps and maybe relocated them in which you now need a different antenna. For example, moving aps from a warehouse to an office. Or just have a bunch of “e” aps in your spare and want to use some for testing. That is when I have used the stubby.
-Scott

Don’t think too much about this. You should never make a decision to purchase the “e” with stubbie if you can just use the “I”. It’s a no brainer.
-Scott

Oh yes! I think the same, so the stubby antennas are required only if you like to recuperate warehouse AP?? I don't see any other option and this is strange?!? Do you agree?
-G

It’s not really strange. Some like the longer dipole antennas and then folks complained that it looks ugly and then manufacturers came out with shorter antennas. Depending on the install will depend on what antenna you prefer. We purchased the stubby antennas not for production but because we use a lot of “e” aps and we wanted to have some for testing near our desk and lab.
-Scott

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Agree with Scott below I would recommend you perform a survey with both APs and then decide, if you are not sure how it will propagate in your environment.

Another thing you want to keep in mind in how FRA is handled by both, The AP 2800i have integrated antennas and as such, when FRA is enabled and dual 5–GHz operation is selected, only the non-FRA radio can perform the role of a Macro cell or Micro cell. The XOR FRA radio when enabled for 5–GHz must operate using a much lower power and therefore must function as a Micro cell. The "E/P" Series with external antennas can operate in any combination of Micro or macro cells. 

Additionally, in some cases I have deployed 2802i for data operations and 2802e for monitoring only per 5-6 data APs for wIPS and it works well, because of "E" range.

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card