cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4402 - Guest Access no longer working

andrew-mccabe
Level 1
Level 1

When this started, I cannot be sure, but it has been working for sometime now and cannot understand where the problem is.

There is one guest interface, one guest WLAN. The WLAN is set with a DHCP override address of the guest interface. But it no longer allows this as I found out. Anyway, I can get the client to now receive an address from the internal pool on the WLC, but it will not route to the authentication page. I noticed that the WLC excludes the clients attempting to connect on the guest WLAN due to failed 802.1x authentication! the WLC never even gave me the chance to authenticate using an account created either through the lobby ambassador or creating one directly on the controller.

Any ideas?

3 Replies 3

andrew-mccabe
Level 1
Level 1

It looks as though there is a couple of issues here. Firstly, there was a problem on LAN preventing communications. This is now fixed. Secondly, the internal DHCP service on the WLC's would not allow the WLAN to override the DHCP server address with the address of the guest service - although it allowed it previously. Why it suddenly stopped working, I have no idea. The second part to this is that when attempting to draw an IP address from te neighbouring WLC, it placed the client in to quarantine. Again, not sure why it is doing that.

In any case, it looks to be a problem with the internal DHCP service. I will create a second interface to mark as the DHCP server on the WLC. If this continues to be a problem, I will use an external source.

Hello,

Sorry to see you're having problems with the DHCP server. Ive installed over 300 WLCs and if there is one thing I can state ... Dont use the WLC as a DHCP in production or GUEST.

There has been a number of DHCP bugs. Most recently in the 6.x track.

What code are you on ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George

I am using 7.0.98.0.

The problem I believe is that during my investigations I changed the DHCP server address on the WLAN but was then unable to change it back to the Guest interface. It looks as though this was allowed at one point but since a number of upgrades to current release, this is no longer allowed.

I have read up on a number of bugs so I agree that the WLC is not best placed to serve these addresses. I was going to create another interface to act as the DHCP gateway but Im going to shift this off the WLC.

This should fix things nicely (touch wood, fingers crossed...)

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: