cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 .lic adder problem?

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this.

I'm trying to add a 25 AP .lic file to an existing 5508 and it won't go.  The only upload option is tftp, and every time I try to upload the file the WLC and the tftp servers hosting the .lic file timeout with messages to the effect of "no response from peer."  I've tried three different tftp servers on three different hosts with the same results.  The tftp servers all indicate they receive a get request  from the WLC and the WLC errors out with "% Error: License file transfer failed - No reply from the TFTP server."

WLC code is 7.4.140.0, but it has only been running that code for 17 days.  A bug in 7.4.140?

Thanks!

ETA:  same results through the service port.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
No reply from the TFTP server.

Means the TFTP server ain't responding or the response (from TFTP server to the appliance) is being blocked/dropped. 

same results through the service port.

What is the TFTP application used?  Firewall blocked?  

Leo has a good point... Make sure your firewall is disabled.

Lets eliminate the tftp.... Download the configuration of the controller using tftp and see if that works.  If it does, then your license is probably wrong and you should get TAC involved to rehost the license again. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

Lets eliminate the tftp.... Download the configuration of the controller using tftp and see if that works.

I was about to say "test downloading the OUI" but stopped after I realized 7.4.X don't support OUI update.  

Tftp anything just to see it work:)  haha

-Scott 

-Scott

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Hoping I can get back to this one soon.

TFTP servers are:

SolarWinds on Surface Pro Win8 Ent.

SolarWinds on Server 2008 R2

3CDaemon on Win7 desktop

I can tftp WLC config to all these tftp servers, no problem.

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Worked with TAC on this.  The only way I got it to work was using TAC's recommended Tftpd64, through the service port.

Tfpd64 did not work from any other network location, on any other platform, or with any .lic file until I tried it through the service port.

Hopefully a code upgrade goes a little smoother.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card