cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC client host name says "unknown"

RabbitSF
Level 1
Level 1

Our 5508 WLC has the software version 8.3.102.0. Clients are getting IPs from our Windows Active Directory (AD) dhcp server. It would be nice that the controller's management console can show me the client's host name so I can tell which device gets connected to which AP. It's not working that way for now (see attached screen capture). The work around for me now is to find out the IP address of the connected device from the controller and then search from the Windows dhcp server to find out the name. Running command nslookup to the IP address returns no name but nslookup the device name returns the IP.

I wonder if this is something we need to do from the AD, from the 5508 controller or from something else.

Many Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Brett Verney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Have you set the 'DNS Server IP' under the 'Controller' TAB on the WLC?

Regards,

Brett

Yes, tried that already. No luck!

Good morning, I happen the same but with the names of users, with some users not all, my users are LDAP

Well, at least you have something. I don't have anything on the User Name column at all. What did you do to make the User Name showed up? Thanks!

Hello RabbitSF, you commented that we 8.0.133.0 version; and unlike you we manage LDAP not AD, greetings.

Hello RABBITS, in my case I've seen that does not leave the user's name, that is not authentic in the captive portal, lol.

I've got the same problem.

my DNS server IS specified in the Config on the VWLC , and the cleints are registering in DNS

I've tested from other machines, i can ping wireless clients by hostname, but the controller does not resolve the hostname..... any ideas? 

Click on:

WLANs tab \  WLAN ID \ Advanced 

look for Local Client Profiling and check the box for HTTP profiling.  Apply, Save, repeat for other WLANs if needed.

Oddly, I've had to re-enable this on a few occasions.  It may be a buggy setting.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card