Views
Helpful
Replies

5520 N+1 licensing

dinesh joshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have query on licensing 5520 WLC in N+1. Both WLC would be in different location and with 200 AP licenses. 

1 ). If we are configuring  WLC in fail-over each other, do we need 400 Ap license in each WLC so that all AP's of 

one WLC get register in second WLC if one goes down.

2). If we are purchasing AIR-CT5520-50-K9 as bundle, can we add 150 Ap adder license on this bundle.

Regards,

Dinesh 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

you said the secondary box I need to purchase without license and need to convert in HA. Will it work in my scenario.

Yes It will work, the HA Box (just the plain box, there isnt an HA SKU) will have zero licenses.

Site A AP would be connected with their WLC and same is for side B. They will provide failover when other side WLC goes down. So in this scenario if I convert one side WLC in HA mode, would it be providing wireless services for that side.

Yes it will provide but its not the right solution......because cisco is providing HA solution for worst case (Backup)!!!

Other solution:

You want that each locations AP connect to their local WLCs !!!! then i will say its better to buy two WLC with each having 400 AP license.

Why 400 AP lic: 200 for site A and 200 for site B. If site A WLC is down then these 200 AP can join to site B WLC and vice versa.

It is bit costly.....

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dinesh,

HA Parts Information:

1 x AIR-CT5520-50-K9 (with the 50 AP licenses, purchased as if they are add-ons, or the 50 lic bundle)
1 x AIR-CT5520-K9 (without licenses and configured as the HA box).

1 ). If we are configuring  WLC in fail-over each other, do we need 400 Ap license in each WLC so that all AP's of one WLC get register in second WLC if one goes down.

Yes, You just need 400 AP license on primary WLC. Once you convert secondary WLC to HA then that WLC will support up to 1500 APs.

2).If we are purchasing AIR-CT5520-50-K9 as bundle, can we add 150 Ap adder license on this bundle.

If you buy AIR-CT5520-50-K9...then you need 350 AP more license to make it 400.

So overall you need these:

1. AIR-CT5520-50-K9 x1 (Primary)

2. AIR-CT5520-K9 x1  - Convert it to HA model(Secondary)

3.  LIC-CT5520-100A x3 (Add these AP lic on primary)
4.  LIC-CT5520-50A x1 (Add these AP lic on primary)

Regards

Hello Sandeep,

Thanks for your input. you said the secondary box I need to purchase without license and need to convert in HA. Will it work in my scenario.

I have 2 sites ( Suppose A and B), both sites having 200 AP to register for their wireless client.

Site A AP would be connected with their WLC and same is for side B. They will provide failover when other side WLC goes down. So in this scenario if I convert one side WLC in HA mode, would it be providing wireless services for that side.

Regards,

Dinesh

Hi,

you said the secondary box I need to purchase without license and need to convert in HA. Will it work in my scenario.

Yes It will work, the HA Box (just the plain box, there isnt an HA SKU) will have zero licenses.

Yes it will provide but its not the right solution......because cisco is providing HA solution for worst case (Backup)!!!

Other solution:

You want that each locations AP connect to their local WLCs !!!! then i will say its better to buy two WLC with each having 400 AP license.

Why 400 AP lic: 200 for site A and 200 for site B. If site A WLC is down then these 200 AP can join to site B WLC and vice versa.

It is bit costly.....

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

Can I say that the WLC2 secondary unit is activating RTU license (provided I have accepted the RTU agreement), assuming WLC1 has down.

Thus in this scenario, I can position all my licenses hosted in WLC1. Just to make it easy on license management. In the nutshell, I just purchasing 1 set of licenses.

How long does the RTU license last, or it doesn't have the fixed expiry/grace period?

dinesh joshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was discussing about this solution which you said. But i was not sure about Ap licensing which you clear to me.

Other solution:

with 400 Ap in each box this solution will cost more than the SSO at each side, So better to take SSO at each side. what is your view on this ?

Regards,

Dinesh 

Hi,

that was just an another option, not the final solution.

My personal recommendation(Even I am using the same):

For each location I am using two WLCs(Primary with 25-100 AP license and secondary with HA-SKU license )

you have two option:

1. As per my last post... it only supports N+1

2. Each location have two WLC with enough AP license.(It will support AP & Client SSO)

Now you can decide which one is cheaper....and suitable for you.

Regards

Dontf orget to arte helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card