Views
Helpful
Replies

5760 controller with different ap-management subnets

sunrise1916
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Recently, I was implementing a project in the hospital.The  general enviroment is that one Core SW connected with  three Distribution SWs, running ospf between all(The three Distribution SWs are used for  3 different departments so they need to be logical isolated)

Now we want to add a 5760 WLC which connected to the Core SW,and add  APs  connected to the three different Distribution SWs(therefore I have created three different AP-Management VLANs  on the three Distribution SWs and configured different DHCP pools using the op 43 which point to the Managament IP of the 5760 WLC).

Now I was wondering if the 5760 supports different ap-management subnets like the older WLCs?If not ,should I use  the multicast  feature  to implement this?

By the way,the wireless clients  could be in one subnet or in 3 different subnets,but finally they must be capable to communicated  with the server farm behind the  Core SW.

3 Replies 3

Now I was wondering if the 5760 supports different ap-management subnets like the older WLCs?If not ,should I use  the multicast  feature  to implement this?

No, you simply define a management interface (SVI on 5760) and use this IP under option 43.

Here is how I set it up

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/12/getting-started-with-5760/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

The only possible option is define SVI on 5760 and use option 43.

Joseph Vasanth Louis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

5760 can have multiple AP managers. If the AP subnets are present as L3 SVI on the 5760, you can add them. but i would still go with option 43

Pls rate if the response is useful

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card