cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5GHz only APs

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen many post, but none with answers, which makes me fear this may not be possible with Cisco APs.  I have several dense AP deployments with high user counts.  Nearly 95% of user devices are 802.11ac capable, so to help 2.4GHz channel separation realities, I would love to disable 2.4GHz on 50 - 75% of the APs.  Assigning 5GHz only SSIDs to APs running 8.0 software does not seem to disable 2.4GHz radios or the overall sites' DCA workload.  Is there a way to pull this off on a 5500 controller running 8.0.x code?

Thanks Guys and 100% sorry if I missed the solution in my searches

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rasika, "You have to disable 2.4GHz radio on specific APs individually."   <-- Where is this option in the GUI?

Wireless > Access Points > Radios > 802.11b/g/n > (select configure in dropdown option appear right side of the row for each AP) > Admin Status > Disable

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Assigning 5GHz only SSIDs to APs running 8.0 software does not seem to disable 2.4GHz radios or the overall sites' DCA workload. 

This will not disable your 2.4 GHz radios. Only thing it will do is given SSID advertised only on 5GHz radio.

You have to disable 2.4GHz radio on specific APs individually.

Is there a way to pull this off on a 5500 controller running 8.0.x code?

Other than manual disabling ( or disabling all 2.4GHz data rates using RF profile) no other way. With 2800/3800 series AP (with 8.2 MR1 onward) there is Flexible Radio Assignment where 2.4 GHz radio will dynamically change to another 5GHz radio depend on the environment

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Rasika,

"You have to disable 2.4GHz radio on specific APs individually."   <-- Where is this option in the GUI?

Leo,

"Why not 802.11b data rates instead" <-- If the are old enough to need 2.4GHz, I cannot guarantee their "mandatory" data rates? 

"I have seen through my own eyes dual-radio wireless clients unwilling to negotiate to 802.11a radio due to old/faulty firmware codes."  <-- Seen this a ton with Mac users, whereas the only way they would stay on 5GHz is for the SSID they join to be 5GHz only.  The problem I have is I have to put many APs out to achieve less than 50 high usage / throughput devices per AP.  This means an AP every 50' and as many as 16 APs on a business floor.  With tenants on city floors above and below, this becomes an RF nightmare.  APs cannot sufficiently increase power due to AP density without impacting their own group.  Even with all the optimal DCA settings set, these APs end up changing frequencies 10+ times day, often numerous APs bouncing at the same time; so, having this enabled actually doesn't make it a better wireless environment.  Spreading the 2.4GHz spacing, by reducing APs participating in 2.4GHz, would allow APs to increase power, without impacting their AP group neighbors.  Thoughts?

Rasika, "You have to disable 2.4GHz radio on specific APs individually."   <-- Where is this option in the GUI?

Wireless > Access Points > Radios > 802.11b/g/n > (select configure in dropdown option appear right side of the row for each AP) > Admin Status > Disable

HTH

Rasika

Hello, what is the correct way to do this on a Cisco 8540 WLC  (software version 8.5.131.0) via the CLI?

I have found the correct way in the GUI but I have to disble 2.4GHz for multiple access points in which case the CLI would be the preferred method ;)

So far my searches online did not yield this information.
Would the command "config 802.11-abgn disable [AP-NAME]" be the correct one?

-or- is the command "config 802.11-abgn band ap [AP-NAME] 5GHz" the correct one? Documentation is unfortunately not very clear about this.

Thank you in advance!

Many thanks!

You're very welcome.

Just remembered I forgot to update my post last year.
"config 802.11-abgn disable [AP-NAME]" turned out to be the correct one.

And to be clear in general, this concerned a high density deployment.2,4GHz was not disabled on all APs, just a few to reduce/eliminate interference but keep 2,4GHz service available.

* Please rate useful responses ;) *

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would love to disable 2.4GHz on 50 - 75% of the APs.

In addition to Rasika's response, I would like to add this:  Why not disable 802.11b data rates instead?  Doing it this way makes it way "cleaner" and ensures high speed throughput.  The only downside to "disable 2.4 Ghz" on some (or all) the APs is there are still wireless clients with 2.4 Ghz radio currently being sold and currently out there.  Disabling 2.4 Ghz will only make wireless experience worst for some people.  

Another thing is dual-radio wireless clients.  I have seen through my own eyes dual-radio wireless clients unwilling to negotiate to 802.11a radio due to old/faulty firmware codes.

Is there a way to pull this off on a 5500 controller running 8.0.x code?

8.0 firmware supports RF Groups in an AP Group so this will make things a lot better.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card