Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5GHz only.

Just wondering what others have done, but we are building a new warehouse we designed it for 5GHz and not planning to have 2.4GHz even enabled. So far I have seen no issues, bu was wondering if others have done anything like this. To me 2.4 has so many issues in a warehouse environment and from testing the new warehouse is not seeing co-channel etc.

4 Replies 4

dderbowka
Level 1
Level 1

I would pretty much stick on the 5GHz band if and when all possible. Most devices now have 5GHz capabilities standard. 

Some devices like printers don't support 5GHz but if your subnet is the same as the LAN and WLAN I can't see a issue if the printer was to be hardwired over Ethernet. 

I have had my 2.4GHz band shutdown for a few years now (small buisness/home). Only thing to keep in mind is the DFS Channels may become used and thus rendering a(n) AP to not broadcast for 1 minuet while it seeks another channel thus creating a low coverage spot. (If you use DFS Channels) 

For me it's use Ethernet or have Support for 5GHz WiFi. 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I think you challenge and what I have seen in these environments are device support. Many customers I have deployed wireless in, have old devices that only work on the 2.4ghz, so if that is the case for you, you can’t move away from that. You must make sure that all devices support 5ghz 100%.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yeah, from what I have seen, all the devices we use are 5GHz capable. In the end, the new warehouse will have 717 APs, and trying to manage 2.4 on that would be a nightmare. One of the other reasons is the conveyor vendor is using 2.4 int their system and not having 2.4 keeps us from interfering with their systems.

As already mentioned, do not underestimate the device support.

Some time ago a customer needed a whole bunch of Android Smartphones that were of small size (so it can be used with one hand) and are cheap as it was expected that they will drop quite often. Probably some of the ruggedized systems had been better, but the purchasing department first bought some Xiaomi Redmi 7A to test. A little later we realized that these devices do not support the 5Gz band ... I can not imagine what happened if they directly bought all and we had been tasked with "these devices are here, now you have to make it work!".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: