cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7.4.110.0 and Apple TV

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

Right, I've upgraded my WISM2 to 7.4.110.0 and I've gone through the bonjour deployment guide.

Client SSID with mDNS snooping enabled and default profile selected (I've also included the profile on the interface to see if that made a difference)

Apple TV SSID set up as above on different VLAN

The apple TV is connecting ok and I can see it the Controller -- mDNS -- domain names section but I cannot see the apple tv box on my apple client devices. Airplay icon just does not appear.

Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

Erwin Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Cod,

- I am assuming that Global mDNS is in fact enabled under Controller > mDNS > General, correct?

- Does the Apple IOS happen to be 6.1:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCue54207

Symptom:

After upgrading Apple device to iOS 6.1, AppleTV AirPlay mirroring is no longer functional.

Conditions:

WLC version 7.4, with mDNS gateway configured.

Workaround:

iOS 6.1 uses a different service string for AirPlay. The new string is _raop._tcp.local., which is mapped to AirTunes on the WLC mDNS list.

Enable AirTunes for your mDNS profile on the WLC to re-enable AppleTV AirPlay.

As of iOS 6.1.3, AirPlay uses both service strings, one for audio (_raop._tcp.local.) and one for video (_airplay._tcp.local.). Please ensure both AppleTV and AirTunes are enabled if you would like both audio and video streaming for AirPlay.

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Nice one Erwin, that's got me a step further! Do you know if iOS 7 has any extra service string requirements?

I'll take a look on the Cisco Bug Toolkit.

You will never know until it comes out.  You can always use a bonjour browser application to see what service strings are being broadcasted.  I usually would do this in a different environment, because if the service string isn't configured on the WLC mDNS, you will not see it in the bonjour browser.  I have manually configured some service strings that still doesn't work form me even with v7.5.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This is tantalisingly close.

Apple TV devices are on their own SSID and vlan (which has mDNS snooping enabled with the default profile)

Wi-Fi clients are on their own SSID and vlan (which has mDNS snooping enabled with the default profile)

Global mDNS snooping is enabled.

Default mDNS profile has been modified to include AirTunes (required by iOS 6.1)

I can see the devices (Apple TV and client device) in the Controller – mDNS – Domain Names section.

Client device can see the airplay icon but upon selecting the Apple TV device the screen flashes and it just returns to desktop.

It seems something is working, but it's failing at the last hurdle.

Try to put one ipad on the same ssid as the APple TV's.  That will give you an idea if the WLC mDNS is breaking or not.  That is usually how I test.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card